how to increase egg production

raspeary

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Cortland New York
My girls seem to be slacking. I have the light in the coop on so they are getting 14 hours of light a day. They have plenty of food and water available at all times. I'm only geting 1 egg a day from 7 hens or 2 if i'm lucky. Don't understand why they aren't laying more. There has been no signs of egg eating either. They seem healthy with no problems. Any suggestions?

Maybe they just need a break. I am not going to add light, I am going to let mine go with the natural egg cycle. So far they have not slowed down.

How old are they? They almost quit during a molt and the molt really doesn't have to be that bad. Some breeds go bald and some just loose some feathers.

I've suggested this before to others, because this is what I found out quite by accident: Make up some coffee, with cream and sugar, and offer it to the hens. At first, they kind of spit it out! Then they get to like the taste, and they want the coffee. I believe this stimulates them, and they start laying again. My old hen started with coffee by stealing it from my cup on the patio. At first I was annoyed at losing my coffee, but then peased that it started her laying again, after about 2 yrs of no laying. She was over 5 at the time. She kept laying until she died at 9 yrs old.

Others use cayenne pepper in their feed, it is supposed to stimulate them as well. And apparently they can't taste the pepper. Either one is worth a try!

Quote:
Really? Coffee? Do you give them the cream and sugar because that's how you like it, or does it seem to add something to the laying.

I like interesting things like this.

As birds age the natural egg production begins to decrease regardless of what you do. Also, within a reproduction cycle egg production also begins to decrease until the birds reach a point that they need to 'regenerate' their body reserves. This usually is when and why they go through a molt. By adding artificial lighting during short days (winter) you can extend the natural egg production cycle to get eggs through these months. However, at some point birds will need to regenerate their reserves and this will usually happen in the form of a 'soft molt' where they may or may not go out of egg production completely. My birds are exposed to 15 hour day lengths year round and I get eggs all year but the birds will individually go through a soft molt so I never will really cease to get eggs.

So, allow them to molt when they are ready. If they have been laying pretty consistently since early Spring they may need the break anyway. If they seem to be shutting down egg production anyway then maybe you could remove the artificial light and reduce feed quality and quantity and allow them ALL to go out of production and get ready for spring.

Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom