How to integrate a 4 new chickens in with 2 others

RobLII

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Mahopac
I have a (Sweet) chicken tractor made of pallets and scrap plywood mostly!
Anyway I have 2 redbro's (9 weeks old) in it now, I am picking up 4 new hens (2 americana & 2 barred rock all @ 5 weeks old) in a few days. How do I integrate them all into the same coop w/out injuries or casualties??

99931_coop.jpg

Last edited:
Love the tractor!! nicely done...

You will have to keep the separated, but still able to see each other. I have a large wire dog pen I use when I need to integrate new chooks. Just put it inside. If you don't have anything like that maybe run a piece of wire across the front of you coop and give them the area under the coop to run. Just throwing some ideas out there. The goal is keep them together, but separated so they get used to eachother first.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I use a wire dog crate, too. I had eleven 2-month old bantams in my pen when my order of larger breeds came in. I think I kept the youngins in the crate for about a week or so (they were 2 weeks old when I put them in the crate in the run). When I let them out together, all was well!! They do still keep themselves separated when roaming about, but I would think the small number and close age you have it won't take them long to form a clan together
smile.png

Last edited:
OK, sounds good. How would I lock them in at night? Should I seperate inside the coop too?

I am going to suggest putting some stuff in your run part. Some extra roosts, try putting an old shovel handle, tree branch or closet rod kitty corner to the corner of the run, also put in a box or two, something sturdy enough that they can go into the box, behind the box or on top of the box. This will give some hide out spaces, some shade and it actually gives more square feet of space, than just an empty run. It also helps with boredom, and gives the birds space to get away from each other.

Mrsk

Last edited:
OK, so I got the 4 new chickens. 1 BR, 1 NH Red and 2 Americana
99931_new_chicks_7-31_6_weeks.jpg

I made a small shelter for them to have beneath the coop and separated out the area beneath the main coop for the new chick to have. I also made a small opening in the wire so the new guys can go explore the main coop, (escape hatch in case they big guys start to get fresh). I also added welded wire to most of the coop, why shouldn't i staple, screwing it on seems like a pain in the butt. I have heavy duty 5/8 staples that should keep the wiring on no matter whats pulling at it.
99931_tractor_w_seperation_coop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom