How to introduce !?!

AlysiaPolk98

Hatching
Apr 4, 2016
Corpus Christi, Texas
Have a rhode island, and a barred rock chick, about idk how old. Lost most fluff, lots of feathers but still small, li
ke 5 weeks ? Getting a buff Orpington, and a laced chick, they'll be... a week ?? How to introduce older to younger ? Pictured are my barred rock and rhode island. What should I feed them besides bugs and chick starter ??? Exercises ? Had them since they were way smaller with all fluff

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
- great to have you onboard with us.

At around 5 weeks, and considering your location, chicks should be ok being transferred to the coop as they are fully feathered and can maintain their own body heat. They do need to be acclimatised to the outdoors by letting them outside for increasingly longer periods of time. If you begin this now, the brooder should be empty and ready for your new chicks.

Chicks need nothing but starter feed but if you do wish to give them treats, then ensure that you are also giving them access to grit as they need this to break down food in their crop.

These links may help you for the moment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
CT

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Cat has left you some good advice on your older chicks been able to go outside so you can use the brooder for smaller ones. There is quite a difference in age with your chicks so putting them together now may cause the older ones to bully the smaller ones. Once they are all grown you should be able to add them together using the see but don't touch method at first. This works well for getting birds acquainted.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Unfortunately I don't have a coop yet, I let them play in my yard every few days for around 10mins and I give them grass, crickets, mealworms and chick feed, and tonight gave them oyster shell grit, thank y'all, and I can't just leave them in my backyard due to cats, hawks, vultures, my moms dog and any other number of things, trying to get a temporary coop and I have something for a temporary run, for now they have part of my room with towels on the floor and doggie steps, LOL trying to tame them as well

welcome-byc.gif

You've already been given some very good advice so I'll just say hello, it's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom