How to keep animals out of this???

TheChickMan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Next fall after my garden has been depleated of everything i deem edible my self, I want to let my chickens eat everything left over. It is 25 by 80 and i have to fence it in if i let them out. I need help because i also have cats and a dog who would love to get underneath of there and have a chicken supper. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make a temporary fence animal proof ? and what foods can chickens not eat, ive heard tomatoes are bad, was just wondering if there is any other ones. comments appreciated greatly

I have not heard of tomatoes being bad. Mine eat them often. I do know onions and garlic will flavor the eggs. For the most part, chickens won't eat what they shouldn't. It does happen, though. There should be a list in the learning center.
As for animal proofing, I used bricks on the outside of the fence. This year I am putting the fencing into the ground, and making it permanent.
Unless you have chicks or bantams, cats are not much of a threat. Chickens are bigger than them.

You could surround the garden with Premier's electrified poultry netting. That would make for a quick and easily movable fence. You can power it up with a solar or household electrics. And tomatoes are alright for chickens, my birds love em.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom