How to keep chickens cool in the heat. Tips wanted!

I also hang roll-up blinds from the eaves outside of my coop to cool one side where there are wire openings & windows. I roll it up or down to adjust for sunlight & storms, & it has spaces between the slats that allow some ventilation, like the one at http://hardwaredistributors.com/bli...os-wood.html?gclid=CIfN0OW7nL4CFYqFfgodM5cA0g.

I hang another one on the prop-out window on the end of the coop, and another curtain-y type shade over the other window. These ones provide shade, though don't add ventilation since they are right against glass.

I also lean a close-slatted section of wooden picket fence against the other end of the coop, which deflects sun from hitting that wall directly & provides a shadey, cooled area beside the coop.

What about 7 week old chicks in a small coop? It's supposed to be 98 here today, which is unusual for where I live. I closed off the roosting part and put shade cloth around the run area. I'm a worried mom!

Is there any way that you can add ventilation to their coop? If you have electricity you might be able to put a small fan to circulate the hot air. One of my coops is small (4x8) so I attached a small fan outside each of the 2 windows. Also your coop probably has nesting boxes already, are they the type that you can open the lids to let the hot air out? I don't open them all the way, just a bit so the hens still feel privacy to lay.
I know what you mean when you said you are a worried mom, I have 7 weeks chicks too and just moved them to the coop a week ago. Fortunately we just had a front that cool the temp. so I am good to go for few days.
Best thing is ventilation and shade so try to make your best for your new chicks. Good luck!

Thank you ! That's what my Mother in law and hubby has been telling me . This is the first time I've been around Chickens , and I'm trying to raise them LOL :)

I filled a plastic container with sand & sprinkle it with water whenever it starts to dry up, so that the sand is cool.
Didn't know if they would actually use it, but they do! They'll go & lay in it to keep cool.

I have a large children’s wading pool that I have flowers in. This morning i overwatered the pool and the tiny drain holes allowed the potting soil to soak up a tremendous amount of water. Later during the heat of the day i looked outside and all the chickens were laying in little wallows of damp potting soil inside the wading pool. The chickens looked like they were really enjoying themselves.

We have just been issued a heat advisory here in the great Pacific Northwest - not supposed to cool down for a week. (90 degree days). Very unusual for us and my chickens are already hot and it's only been in the low 80s. Already using frozen water bottles, frozen fruit, plastic tub with an ice block. Just bought another tarp for more shade. But... what I am most excited about is, on my way to work this morning, I bought the supplies to make 2 of these : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/788391/keeping-chickens-cool-in-summer-heat/70 - see post #71
gig.gif

One for the chickens and one for me
hide.gif
No A/C up here where the avg. summer temps are 50s at night and low 70s during the day with a nice off shore breeze coming in. Wish me luck and I'll let you all know if they work. If the don't, I'm only out about $16 since I already have the extra down spouts and frozen gallon jugs to put in them.

Back
Top Bottom