How to Keep Chickens From being Bored

Yes, dirt / dust baths are a great boredom buster!
...says the girl that used to have beautiful flowers!
tongue.png

That's a great idea, just been tossing in the leftover fruits and veges, but might as well make a triple use out of it. Thanks for the tip.

ok, i need some help! I have two chickens that are limping, from a strained muscle i think. So my dad dad and brother built an "inirmary". One chicken is content to just stay laying down. poor baby.
sad.png
but the other one is kind of frantic. Is there any ideas for small toys that would fit in a 2'x3' and 2 1/2 foot tall cage?

ok, i need some help! I have two chickens that are limping, from a strained muscle i think. So my dad dad and brother built an "inirmary". One chicken is content to just stay laying down. poor baby.
sad.png
but the other one is kind of frantic. Is there any ideas for small toys that would fit in a 2'x3' and 2 1/2 foot tall cage?

Is she alone in there? The one laying down may become a tranquilizer for the frantic one if they're together. It may just take some time. Also, if she can see the other chickens out doing their thing, that will keep her agitated too. It'll probably be dark there in a few hours. I'd just let her settle down.

If you want to help them with some pain "medication", you can use frozen blueberries. Blueberries have natural aspirin in them. If they are large fowl, I would give about 1 Tbsp each (don't let one hog them all). You might have to force feed the first one or cut it up so they can see the inside lighter color. Give them their regular food first though. I've heard of birds refusing their regular food in favor of blueberries once they try them.

Is she alone in there? The one laying down may become a tranquilizer for the frantic one if they're together. It may just take some time. Also, if she can see the other chickens out doing their thing, that will keep her agitated too. It'll probably be dark there in a few hours. I'd just let her settle down.

If you want to help them with some pain "medication", you can use frozen blueberries. Blueberries have natural aspirin in them. If they are large fowl, I would give about 1 Tbsp each (don't let one hog them all). You might have to force feed the first one or cut it up so they can see the inside lighter color. Give them their regular food first though. I've heard of birds refusing their regular food in favor of blueberries once they try them.
Thank you soooooooooo much! i wanted to do somethink for them, i don't want them in pain! they can't see the others. they can here them, though.

Last edited:
Tried a little game with my chickens during chicken t.v. this afternoon.... I let them watch me put wax worms on the ground and then place a leaf on top of them. It was hilarious watching the girls come up with their own method for getting to the goodies. Some scratched, some wedged their beaks underneath, and one pecked right through the leaf to the worm and got the leaf stuck on her beak because she refused to turn the worm aloose!

I found this plan for a compost bin. We are going to build it in the run as soon as the coop is finished!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Chicken-Powered-Three-Stage-Compost-Bin-Photos/

I like the wooden bins like the ones shown at that link. A lot of people fashion them out of wire fencing, but the nice thing about the wooden ones is that the chickens can perch and rest on the top rims. In our yard, the shady area with the wooden compost bins is the favorite hang out area. They spend a lot of time picking through the compost and then resting/roosting on the rims.

Back
Top Bottom