How to Keep Chickens From being Bored

Hey chicken farmer... what kind of rooster do you have there in your avatar?

My guess is Swedish Flower, a breed at the very top of my wish list.
love.gif

I give my chickens fruit, yogurt, corn cobs, melons etc. I will have to try the noodles with them.

My wife cooks wheat spaghetti - the girls love the leftovers! And they completely enjoy watermelon and fruit - seem to ignore pineapple chunks, though.

By the way...that was a full "watermelon bowl" when it was put out there!

Last edited:
On hot days I give my girls a Frozen watermelon halfed... They Love it. I have even seen some that inside the empty rind and take a nap:) CUTE!!

Using different types of feeders is good too because it allows for less dominant birds to feed with ease and gives variety... Like a hanging, a bowl, or even a hay feeder like you use for rabbits or GP. Put leafy greens or carrots in it:)

Like others said hanging a cabbage is fun. Also if you have a mesh bag or even a onion bag.. you can fill it with hay, or corn on the cob.. They have to work a little harder for the food so it keeps them busy:) Just watch the bag.. it will eventually be pecked apart. I usually put mine in for just a few hours and remove . Or do so when Im working outside.
awwwwwwwwww so cute!!!

There's another feed toy iv'e seen used for "cagebirds" its a metal bolt on a chain that you can stick fruit, veggies or both You secure the treats by screwing a large beadon the bottom A frind gave me one for my lovebird Bud Who injoyed it. HHmmm, What would the clerk at your local pet store would react if you told him/her that its for your chickens?
lau.gif
Its something I;d like to see.

Do you think a regular "dose" of olive oil in their diey might prevent crop binding?

I never thought about that. Usually, they get crop bound over things like long grass or pieces or paper that they've gotten a hold of or even shavings that they've eaten. I haven't had any trouble with crop bound issues, once its discovered. I bring them in and while holding them, repeatedly dip the tip of their beak in a spoonful of olive oil. Once I get most of it down, I massage the crop and break up any materials that are all clumped together. You can feel them through the skin and feathers and all. I believe the olive oil just helps everything slip on through. I think I have saved a half a dozen birds with this method, over the past several years.

I buy a bale of pure alfalfa hay and put it in 1 slab/section at a time. Excellent source of protein and it keeps them busy for hours! The entire bale lasts them for weeks (I have 13 girls)!

Love the alfalfa idea. Ours free range, but we usually keep them cooped up when we go on vacation. Sometimes we come home to find feather picking or bullying has started, so a slab of alfalfa for the pet sitter to put in the coop every morning, sounds like nice way to keep the birds occupied.

Back
Top Bottom