How to keep chickens from straying to neighbors?

traisanen

Hatching
Jul 28, 2019
Our chickens have been free-ranging around our 1.5 acre yard and have typically stayed in our yard, driveway, front porch, etc. Now they decided to go into neighbor's yard. Any tips on keeping them in your yard other than keeping them cooped up 24/7?

They make relatively cheap wire fencing that you could possibly put up between your property and your neighbors property. I’m referring to the one that you attach to those green posts that go into the ground, but I’m sure there’s many other kinds as well. Besides that, I don’t think there’s many other ways. Chickens are determined little buggers, and usually you have to manually block them from going unwanted places.

What I have found, is that the more I let them out, the farther they roam and cover more territory.

Now my set up is a fair distance from our home, but I did have a flock that my husband shot at with a bb gun, hose or squirt gun for several days when they started coming up to the house, and with some persistence, they did leave the area alone. (note: he did not hit them with the BB gun)

Now, if they get to roaming too far, I either let them out less, or later in the day so that they don't get quite so far before they head back.

I believe in a set up that you can go into lock up 24/7, if you need to.

MRs K

Before we fenced our property I had the same problem when I let my chickens free range. At first they stayed close to home, but eventually they made it to the neighbor's yard. I did as someone suggested, and let them out to roam later in the afternoon. That way they never made it all the way to the neighbor's property before they would start to work their way back to their coop for bed :)

Tie a small rope (actually string or twine) to their leg and the other end to a tree or stake. Do this for 4 - 7 days and they should learn that your yard is home and that's where they belong.

My first Flock of Chickens were kept in their large pen till 2 hours before sunset. No roaming away from yard. It stayed that way for 5 months TILL,
I started to let them out 4 hours before sunset.
I got a text from my neighbor. My chickens were in her yard. Yeah they crossed the street.
I kept them in their pen for a week and let them out the way I did for 5 months. 2 hours before sunset.
That worked for a little over a week. Then another text. Lock em in for another week.
Now they get let out only 1 hour before sunset, and I have to look out the windows frequently because they did cross the street again.
They are 40 months old now and I also have 12 months old hens. They have their own coop and pen. They don't flock together and the younger hens have been staying on my property.
So in my experience the longer you let them free range, the further they will wander. Both Flocks have large pens, so no problems keeping them in most of the day. GC
STC_0005 (2019-08-11T15_12_48.961).jpg

My first Flock of Chickens were kept in their large pen till 2 hours before sunset. No roaming away from yard. It stayed that way for 5 months TILL,
I started to let them out 4 hours before sunset.
I got a text from my neighbor. My chickens were in her yard. Yeah they crossed the street.
I kept them in their pen for a week and let them out the way I did for 5 months. 2 hours before sunset.
That worked for a little over a week. Then another text. Lock em in for another week.
Now they get let out only 1 hour before sunset, and I have to look out the windows frequently because they did cross the street again.
They are 40 months old now and I also have 12 months old hens. They have their own coop and pen. They don't flock together and the younger hens have been staying on my property.
So in my experience the longer you let them free range, the further they will wander. Both Flocks have large pens, so no problems keeping them in most of the day. GCView attachment 1881437
The problem is squarely your neighbors fault. They do not mow enough or otherwise have to much diversity in their yard. Neighborhood association should be informed.

Back
Top Bottom