how to keep eggs from freezing in nesting box!?

They will lay in there own time. the winter could be the reason they aren't so ready but give it time.

you could use electric pipe wrap , run it through the nest box'es someway. Just an idea!!

One of my girls lays on top of the box,her eggs are always cracked, the others lay inside the box their eggs are fine
That's actually quite funny
smile.png

First year pullets can lay all winter without extra light.
Gathering eggs multiple times a day is great for those who don't have to leave home to work all day.

Yes we are lucky my husband is a salesman that works out of the house. But even when he's gone for several days at a time, I check before I leave for work and when I get home. So far, so good.

A quick fix, Hand warmers, lay one under nesting materal They last about 10 hr's ,Wal Mart cheep a buck or two PS Im from Calumet Mich, I now live in Kingston TN.

Update:

We have had an unusually cold February for my area, many day temperatures only in the teens.

My schedule allows egg collection once around 8AM and once around 8PM.

The heated nest boxes are working as designed, flawlessly!

This year to date I have had 0 frozen eggs, whereas last year I had literally dozens...

My coldest recorded egg temperatures was 33F, significantly above the 28F threshold for egg freezing.

That particular day, daytime high temperatures in the coop were in the low teens, and the eggs were collected at 8:30pm.

Wrll got thrue my first winter, lost a few eggs due to 30 below zero nights, but all in all been very successful. Just get the eggs twice a day and a.couple broody hens helped out.

Back
Top Bottom