How to keep extra roosters?

On the subject of egg layers. I am quite new.
How many eggs per day do chickens lay? I was under the impression that they laid 2 eggs per hen, per day. Is this correct, or did someone misinform me?

My Leghorns are 1 year old now. They lay 1 egg per hen, per day. Mind you, only 2 of my girls missed a couple of days, when it got down to -40C. But no multiple egg layers. Is it because they only do that when they are older?

Is there a secret to it? Getting more than 1 egg per chicken per day?

They are not hiding them. Their yard is an acre, and is fenced. To discourage the neighbor's dog.

The roosters have their own accommodations.

How many eggs per day do chickens lay? I was under the impression that they laid 2 eggs per hen, per day. Is this correct, or did someone misinform me?

My Leghorns are 1 year old now. They lay 1 egg per hen, per day. Mind you, only 2 of my girls missed a couple of days, when it got down to -40C. But no multiple egg layers. Is it because they only do that when they are older?

Is there a secret to it? Getting more than 1 egg per chicken per day?

They are not hiding them. Their yard is an acre, and is fenced. To discourage the neighbor's dog.

The roosters have their own accommodations.
2 a day is rare for most any chicken

One egg approximately every 25 hours assuming they get the required 14-16 hours of daylight... But, there will be times they don't lay every day...

Two eggs from a single hen in a day is very, very, very rare...

Last edited:
Good to know. When days are shorter, the lights go on at 4am. Winters here have sundown at 4pm. I use led rope lights in the coop. Very economical, and more than bright enough. They get minimum 12 hrs of light per day.

With 17 hens, I should get at least a dozen per day. Hoping for more.

Looking to buy more pullets. I really like the Partridge Chanteclers. Beautiful temperament, and the Rooster is a gentleman, even for one so young. The girls took to him right away.

Dual purpose bird. Makes awesome smoked chicken.
1f606.png

Good to know. When days are shorter, the lights go on at 4am. Winters here have sundown at 4pm. I use led rope lights in the coop. Very economical, and more than bright enough. They get minimum 12 hrs of light per day.

With 17 hens, I should get at least a dozen per day. Hoping for more.

Looking to buy more pullets. I really like the Partridge Chanteclers. Beautiful temperament, and the Rooster is a gentleman, even for one so young. The girls took to him right away.

Dual purpose bird. Makes awesome smoked chicken.
1f606.png
Hey cool!

MB here too...lol. You have Chanteclers, nice!

Back
Top Bottom