How to keep feed cost down?

Quick internet search and there is a mill in Elk Grove. Does not appear to make chicken feed but does make 16% protein rabbit pellets. Might be worth a look at pricing and full nutritional values.

Who knows, maybe there is another mill not too far away. It's an inexpensive feed if you can find one. I'm within 40 minutes of a feed mill now and love the $13 bags of 20% protein feed.

Last edited:
Go to supermarkets or deli's and ask about the produce they throw away. My parents own a deli and all the scrap food gets thrown into buckets and goes to the chickens. The fruits, veggies, rolls, messed up egg sandwiches, noodles, deli salads etc. They absolutely love it, they see the white bucket and they come running. I also feed it to my younger chicks who are still on the grower feed. It cuts down on feed costs pretty good. Definitely worth looking into.

In addition to their regular feed and whatever they eat while free ranging, our chickens also get table and kitchen scraps. My brother's family grows tomato plants for theirs. I do agree that free ranging helps keep the cost of feeding down, plus the eggs and meat are even more amazing. I like the idea of checking supermarkets, delis, etc. for produce scraps. I know a restaurant manager who gave leftovers to a pig farmer instead of throwing them out at the end of the day, so it might be worth exploring that option.

Last edited:
A 50 pound bag, of wheat seed, for $16, makes 100s of pounds of fodder, which they really like and is 80% nutritious vs 20-25% dry. Did I mention they REALLY like it and it's ridiculously easy.

My girls got a bucket of food scraps and s bucket of clover today...cuts down on feed costs a lot.

If you can't get food waste from a grocery store, perhaps some friendly neighbors will save scraps for you?

What kind of feeder are you using? When I got a hanging feeder, they seemed to waste a lot less.
I also save a "bucket o' scraps" for them. Just have a big bowl out on the counter, tell everyone to scrape anything still on their plate into that bowl, and give it to your chickens in addition to their feed. They tend to eat less feed when they get scraps!

A 50 pound bag, of wheat seed, for $16, makes 100s of pounds of fodder, which they really like and is 80% nutritious vs 20-25% dry. Did I mention they REALLY like it and it's ridiculously easy.

It's not that easy I have a real issue trying to keep it from molding. I am frustrated to my witts end with it.

Try putting a little lemon juice in the water. Beats using bleach in the water to deter the mold.

Also, restaurants are a good source for scraps.

Last edited:
You can cut feed consumption nearly in half by simply fermenting their feed:  https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Not only will this save you loads on feed, but the health and other benefits to this method of feeding are numerous and remarkable enough that you'll be amazed. 

Sounds good and all but I don't wake up early enough to feed them, I wake up around 9 and my chickens are out at around 5am. I've been trying to think of a way to feed fermented 24/7

Back
Top Bottom