How to keep sparrows/wild birds out of run!?

Have you tried a Grandpa's feeder? It is a treadle feeder and the chickens step on it to open the top (which is covered when they are not eating) and close when they step off. No more feeding the neighbourhood birds :) .

Have you tried a Grandpa's feeder? It is a treadle feeder and the chickens step on it to open the top (which is covered when they are not eating) and close when they step off. No more feeding the neighbourhood birds :) .

I had a treadle feeder (with the sparrow problem). The chickens, some particularly, flick food out and about. It was enough to encourage the sparrows.

First there was one, then two, then four. Within a week or two, there were 40. Blabbermouths.

Im loosing my mind trying to keep the sparrows out of my chicken feed and their coop and run altogether. My chickens free range in my yard all day. The run door is open so they can come and go as they please and so they have access to their food and water. Well the entire neighborhood of birds has decided that they want to come to my house to eat as well. Ive tried the CD thing.That worked for all of five minutes. Tried the fake owl, tried hanging pieces of material thinking maybe the movement would deter them. Tried making a tunnel out of the coop and blocking the door with plastic. Well the sparrows walked right through the tunnel with not even a second thought. I tried feeding in the front of my house hoping they would get full and not want the chicken food. Nope. And I also tried hawk and other birds of prey noises. They didn’t flinch. I bought grandpas chicken feeder also. But that didnt go over well. They are pooping in the chickens water and in their food and im afraid they’re going to bring them diseases…. Please pleaseIf you have any solutions I would love to hear them. Thanks so much!
If the sparrows look like these, you can trap and kill them because they are not native birds. I made this trap which will trap many birds in a day. I found if I kept trapping and killing the sparrows, they quit invading. I do have a couple bird feeders where my hens don’t go and haven’t had an issue with song birds Invading the coop and run like the sparrows.I never have seen sparrows at my feeders, seems like they are ground feeders. Maybe that’s why the trap works so well. Maybe try making the trap, it’s not hard to make and doesn’t have to look great. Good Luck !

Attachments

• 8A06D387-6D65-425A-836E-0E676ABA8F63.jpeg
    8A06D387-6D65-425A-836E-0E676ABA8F63.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 7
  • CFA72B60-3D2B-4E05-B119-A7A9D7DA805D.jpeg
    CFA72B60-3D2B-4E05-B119-A7A9D7DA805D.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 51AC3C60-939B-4E85-8AF0-CD12D31BDFB7.jpeg
    51AC3C60-939B-4E85-8AF0-CD12D31BDFB7.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 8
Im loosing my mind trying to keep the sparrows out of my chicken feed and their coop and run altogether. My chickens free range in my yard all day. The run door is open so they can come and go as they please and so they have access to their food and water. Well the entire neighborhood of birds has decided that they want to come to my house to eat as well. Ive tried the CD thing.That worked for all of five minutes. Tried the fake owl, tried hanging pieces of material thinking maybe the movement would deter them. Tried making a tunnel out of the coop and blocking the door with plastic. Well the sparrows walked right through the tunnel with not even a second thought. I tried feeding in the front of my house hoping they would get full and not want the chicken food. Nope. And I also tried hawk and other birds of prey noises. They didn’t flinch. I bought grandpas chicken feeder also. But that didnt go over well. They are pooping in the chickens water and in their food and im afraid they’re going to bring them diseases…. Please pleaseIf you have any solutions I would love to hear them. Thanks so much!
I am having the exact same issue. I am still looking for a great idea to deter them.

Back
Top Bottom