how to keep the ducks alive during winter

For water-heating I made a plan, I dare to link it here too:

For heating I plan to make a beer-can solar heater that I can put on top of their coop, ventilated by computer-fans.
A separator "wall" will be installed to reduce "splashdamage" caused by the drinking water to the much deeper layer of straw they have in warm season. Also the water will be put on a box with multiple holes, I really do not want to be the straw wet around the waterbasin. I bought lots of straw for this winter and I will use it amply in their yard too.

Aaaaand: dry sauna! Ok, not the real thing but basically the same idea: in the house we heat with wood, and the iron fireplace has a closed top where I will but basalt stones, heat them up for the night. I put those stones in a metal lined wood box (all sides closed, big enough for a duck to rest on top of it) which I put in the coop.
The hotbox emits heat, but it is not warm enough to light up straw.

A hot bath is not easy to manage (and it is drinking water heated up, not cheap), but I will manage to move hot water out to their pond with a pump and hose, just to see them playing in the steam.
big_smile.png
For afterbath preening only they will have an infra lamp, but I do not plan to run it 0-24.

sorry so just we have one of those huge dog kennels so if we put ply wood on will that work

Well, keeping them inside in just a tub is really no life for them. Can you partition off part of your garage and put down a bed of straw so they can do some running around? You can let them out in the daytime as long as they can get back into their shelter as wanted.

My 5 ducks have the run of the yard right now during the day, being secured in an old, weathered but large (big enough to park a pickup in comfortably) shed at night. The problem is that it has a tin roof with a few rust holes and the two-door shed only has one.
idunno.gif
We have a redneck railing to to block the missing door at night but in the winter I am moderately concerned about their warmth. The shed is detached from the house and has no electricity, so I can't run a lamp out there. I am severely cash strapped, so I'm looking for the best, most cost-effective option.

I also live in Georgia, so we don't get real winters here...well, not usually, anyway. Would replacing the door, coupled with copious amounts of hay, be enough? In an old, drafty shed that is around 11x25-30, should any venting be required?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Proper shelter, is the key! I live in Canada so we get cold and our winters are long, we can get our first snow as early as Thanksgiving(which is in October)

I do not have an insulated barn, just well vented and not drafty, i increase the bedding, added straw and ensured the birds have free access to it. Water is open by means of heated buckets, feed is kept dry by storing it out of the way of snow and ice/sleet, you also switch up the diet to replace what is lost from lack of foraging.

Usually the first winter is the worst, you'll have to learn what will work for your climate/ducks but you can get through it, all mine did lol They actually liked the snow for the most part.

Last edited:
Dear Friends, _I had high hopes for this setup, but it does not works as well as intended. A 14W aquarium heater simply cannot cope with a -4C. Period.
So, a bucket of hot water with a shotglass of apple cider vinegar in the morning and clear hot water in the afternoon is what they got. No water in their shed.

I have 30 Muscovy ducks, and they love to eat ice.
I have read somewhere, that most ducks can tolerate weather down to zero degrees f, fairly well, but if they begin to shiver, they will need a heat lamp to snuggle under until they warm back up.
I have a large garage that has a large wood burner in it, and on those nights when it's predicted to be very cold, I fire up the stove and leave the door open for them to come in. But they make one Helluva mess, which may not be an option for most people, but I just throw down some straw and sweep it out the next morning.
PS. I have found that most poultry get their heat energy from corn, so I provide plenty of shell corn during the winter.

Last edited:
Something got one of my drakes (most likely an owl), so the remainder of my flock (2 boys, 2 girls) are now living the sweet (Heh suite?) Life in the basement. They make a giant mess but I don't have to worry about their safety or temperature! They've got hay, daily outings, water and food, now they just need some toys!

Something got one of my drakes (most likely an owl), so the remainder of my flock (2 boys, 2 girls) are now living the sweet (Heh suite?) Life in the basement. They make a giant mess but I don't have to worry about their safety or temperature! They've got hay, daily outings, water and food, now they just need some toys!

Sorry to hear that! do you not have a barn/coop? i cannot imagine keeping mine in the house.

Dear Friends, _I had high hopes for this setup, but it does not works as well as intended. A 14W aquarium heater simply cannot cope with a -4C. Period.
So, a bucket of hot water with a shotglass of apple cider vinegar in the morning and clear hot water in the afternoon is what they got. No water in their shed.

Can you not get a heated bucket? we've been cold here well below -4 and that works best, i'd lose my mind trying to keep water open for them otherwise.

I have 30 Muscovy ducks, and they love to eat ice.
I have read somewhere, that most ducks can tolerate weather down to zero degrees f, fairly well, but if they begin to shiver, they will need a heat lamp to snuggle under until they warm back up.
I have a large garage that has a large wood burner in it, and on those nights when it's predicted to be very cold, I fire up the stove and leave the door open for them to come in. But they make one Helluva mess, which may not be an option for most people, but I just throw down some straw and sweep it out the next morning.
PS. I have found that most poultry get their heat energy from corn, so I provide plenty of shell corn during the winter.

Mine(also 'scovies) like ice too but i think 0 is still pretty stable, we have shot down colder than that... -7C(daytime) -10c(night) recently they were still fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom