How to know if my chick is dying?

klgsablepoot

Hatching
Mar 19, 2024
We’ve hatched our own chicks and 2 have hatched yesterday,1 is fine, active, eating and drinking. However our other one has started to be lethargic and very weak it’s eyes are closed, it doesn’t move and only lifts its head every so often. I’ve had to use a pipet to give it some water and egg yolk as i’ve heard that can help with some nutrients. It helped a little and it was drinking and starting to move a little but no major improvement at all, still very weak and it struggles to lift its head etc. We’re wary it won’t make it through the night should i be prepared for it to pass overnight as that’s the way it is looking. If it does make it through the night what should I do tomorrow to try and help it out?

If it is struggling to even lift its head that doesn’t sound good, I’ve hear people try sugar water to perk chicks up, but honestly that has never worked for me.

I have one that started acting that way on Day 3. It was fine before. I put a dish of water with a triple dose of Poultry Cell in it and brought it over to the dish. It drank and drank. It seems better. I keep bringing it over to that water so it'll drink that instead of the plain water. It does eat some of the wet mash I made out of its food, but doesn't seem like enough so I'll just keep at it. The other ones like it too much so I made a special dish for this one too.

Back
Top Bottom