Chicks need that struggle to get out of their egg to strengthen tiny neck and leg muscles. Assisting them often leads to a less than perfectly ready-for-the-world biddie with strength problems. I don't help unless the baby has just about used up all its energy. I usually just apply a bit of very warm water with a Q-tip to the part of the shell they are still stuck in to aide their own fight. If they need more help later and seem to be having trouble thriving I do give them B vitamins by mouth, not at full strength, and a bit of sugar water for energy. I put them back under the broody hen or in a warm nest-like spot in my brooder pen or an old birdcage I keep as an ICU where he or she can try to finish up later after a nap. So far over twenty odd years I've only lost one runt as I call them with this hands on approach. But I'm retired and have the time to put into intensively nursing weak chicks. Good luck.
Hi all, I had a broody hatch out 5 chicks, and one was still in the egg a day after the rest. Because momma is flighty and was already taking breaks off the nest, I took this one inside and popped it in the incubator hoping it would finish the hatch. I ended up having to assist the hatch, but the baby is out now and fluffing up.

This morning it was having huge difficulty even lifting it’s head and moving around, it was just kinda pushing itself and scooting forward. It looks soooooo weak, but it’s chirping and trying to peck at the food. I’ve given it poul-vite in water and it can lift its head up now and isn’t falling backwards as much, but still looks like it’s struggling to walk. Do I just keep going with the vitamins and hope for the best or is there something else I can do? I’ve attached some photos of it, I’ll try and attach a video

Update for everyone interested!

After a day of vitamins and holding the propping the chick up in our hands so it had to somewhat stand, it was wobbly but able to walk by the next day. We put it back in with momma and moved her and her whole brood to a small brooder pen in the garage for the next week since our temps are dropping again. After a day with momma and it’s siblings the chick is doing even better! She/he is wobbly and tiny, but runs around, eats and drinks with the rest of the chicks, so I’m thinking it was a success! Thanks to everyone who helped ❤️

Back
Top Bottom