How to know what to do?

M

Member 671655

How do I know what birds to cull and what ones not to? I’m getting 5 new layers on Friday and my hubby wants me to cull at least 3-5 to make room for new ones. We have old hens 11/2 to 3 years old currently. Some are not cold hearty or not laying should I go oldest ?

The one I won’t cull is my bestie skinny New Guinea she can get old and retire. We will put down meat chix and the giant pekin meat duck definitely and one rooster. Then maybe Elizabeth and flora. They are old mean amberlink

If they are not productive in eggs then they need to be broth
How long have you been raising chickens?
In case you didn't know....
They always stop laying to molt in their second fall winter, and will start laying again when the days get longer.
Best time to get new chicks is in the early spring so they start laying in the fall, when it can be a good time to slaughter the older birds.

How long have you been raising chickens?
In case you didn't know....
They always stop laying to molt in their second fall winter, and will start laying again when the days get longer.
Best time to get new chicks is in the early spring so they start laying in the fall, when it can be a good time to slaughter the older birds.
Not too long but I’m realizing that there are actual cold hearty birds that can handle the cold better than others . Im still learning what breeds I like and austrolorp marans and Brahma seem to be my favorites along with Khaki Campbell for ducks and blue Swede :)

How do I know what birds to cull and what ones not to? I’m getting 5 new layers on Friday and my hubby wants me to cull at least 3-5 to make room for new ones. We have old hens 11/2 to 3 years old currently. Some are not cold hearty or not laying should I go oldest ?
Welcome to BYC!! I’d go with the older ones too.

It depends on how many eggs you need. I would wait to be sure they are past the molting season. We have room for 12 chickens and only need eggs for one household so can allow hens to retire naturally. When they became ill or are injured we then cull to ease suffering when a chicken can't recover. Everyone has different needs and philosophies on this.

Back
Top Bottom