How to let go? First time chicken owner.

Your hen is suffering and the vegan neighbor would surely want you to end it. No sense in wasting time making phone calls or waiting around for an appointment. We had a nasty nasty rooster, he got the shotgun treatment. I figure if we ever have a terminal hen she'll get the chopping block. It's probably a 2 person job - one to stretch her neck out and the other to swing the axe. Call a supportive friend to help you. Don't do what we did years ago with our very first flock - we had a sick hen and we just let her keep hobbling around until she finally collapsed and died. That still bothers me and I wish we had put her down rather than let her suffer. After that I don't know what to do with their bodies? We lived on 4 acres so we burried them. But now we only have a half an acre and don't want to start a graveyard since we are on a well...

I’m really sorry :( We were in the same boat a few weeks ago, and I was so mad at myself for not being able to put my girl out of her misery. My brother suggested we “practice” cervical dislocation on her after she passed so we would know what to do next time, but we had already brought her in for a necropsy. I wish I had...but in the moment I was too scared I would screw it up. Maybe you’ll feel comfortable practicing on her once she passes, or maybe not. Just wanted to throw it out there. Hugs to you & peace be with your sweet girl.

It's hard. Especially ones you're attached to. The first chick I had to put down, I cried the whole time. With meat birds I grit my teeth and get it done. With birds I like, I sometimes have my husband do it. He's broke the neck or shot them. The only chicken deaths I've regretted where in the beginning when I was too afraid to do what needed done and I caused my hen extra suffering letting her die naturally instead of ending it quick.

Your hen is suffering and the vegan neighbor would surely want you to end it. No sense in wasting time making phone calls or waiting around for an appointment. We had a nasty nasty rooster, he got the shotgun treatment. I figure if we ever have a terminal hen she'll get the chopping block. It's probably a 2 person job - one to stretch her neck out and the other to swing the axe. Call a supportive friend to help you. Don't do what we did years ago with our very first flock - we had a sick hen and we just let her keep hobbling around until she finally collapsed and died. That still bothers me and I wish we had put her down rather than let her suffer. After that I don't know what to do with their bodies? We lived on 4 acres so we burried them. But now we only have a half an acre and don't want to start a graveyard since we are on a well...
I bury them in the garden. I don't know if that's possible for you, but I figure I'm showing the bird respect plus it serves to make the garden grow better.

Someone suggested to me to make a Craigslist ad asking to kill my chicken.

There is someone I know whose parents have a chicken farm. I have considered driving the 2 hours and asking them to put my chicken down for me.

I think you have enough problems without inviting creepy people into your life from Craig's list. If you need help finding a state vet that euthanizes, let me know where you are and I will help you find one. For me it was $35 and they were wonderful.

It’s just that inconceivable to me right now.

I’m sorry you’re facing this. You said you’d even take harsh, so I’m sticking my Blooie neck out here.

The plain truth is we simply can’t save them all - in some cases we shouldn’t even try. I’ve read the stories of folks who succeed beyond the odds - I even did it with one of our chicks, Scout. Although his circumstances weren’t as dire as what you are facing, I still spent an inordinate amount of time, money, and energy on him. The reality for anyone who owns chickens is that this probably won’t be the only time we have to go through this in some form or another, but that first one is usually the toughest.

So however you end up culling her, dwelling on it until you’re even more upset isn’t going to change the bottom line. Without even realizing it, you could end up focusing so hard on her that you take time and energy away from the healthy ones who need you even more. I wish you all the best! :hugs

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as the others who said they let it linger on too long with their first flock. I tried anything and everything for my first sick hen (including veterinary care from three different avian vets) and she did get about six more months (mostly happy, but sometimes weak) after being near death from Egg Yolk Peritonitis. But the last time I took her in for a hormone implant, I should have had her euthanized, as she was already not feeling well. I regret not doing it and a couple days later she was standing around and gurgling (I also wish the vet had been forthcoming and advised me so, but I should have listened to my instincts.) Anyway, in the end, she had a dramatic, yelling, flapping death when I was trying to help her on a record hot day Labor Day weekend. It was awful and traumatic. I highly recommend getting it done peacefully and humanely by a vet, or at least quickly at home, before she suffers more or before you end up going through what I did. Hugs.

Back
Top Bottom