How to lower humidity?

Joining late here, but I do have some input. We had this same incubator (it is made in China, mass produced and sold under a variety of different names/brands - none recognizable.

We hatched some in it, but it was an absolute chore to do so. I won't be too much of a Debbie downer, but I will give you some pointers.

- ultimately, we ditched this thing because the humidity was impossible to control. Just as you are dealing with. Science says something should work, but we couldn't get the dang thing to hold anything kind of climate

- the idea is you put the eggs on those rolls and they turn. Great idea in theory, however - because of the shape of the egg, they will all eventually roll to one side, bunch up and stop turning. We had to reposition the eggs a few times a day. What I ended up doing was putting zip ties around the rolls on either side of the egg which held them in position.

I know there were a few more things, but those were my biggest gripes.

But, you can hatch eggs in it. We did it. Just make sure to check it every few hours if possible.
Good to know. I'll watch out for the eggs :)

If the humidity in my house stays between 40-55% on a regular basis, and the same shows in my bator, do I even need to add water? I'll continue experimenting for a few more days, and I'll just put off setting the eggs.

I filled the outer rim of a little container lid and put it in the incubator and the humidity SKYROCKETED. Humidity is around 45% in my house, so I think I may try to leave the incubator without any water for a few days to see how it is.

I filled the outer rim of a little container lid and put it in the incubator and the humidity SKYROCKETED. Humidity is around 45% in my house, so I think I may try to leave the incubator without any water for a few days to see how it is.
Yes, I'd do that. Try doing a "dry hatch." It is a thing, and many people swear by it. It just means keeping humidity between 25-30% for the first 18 days, then 70% after that. Since your 'bator has a heater and fan, it will likely keep humidity a bit lower than your room's ambient humidity anyway. As long as it's between 25-50%, it's good. But whatever it is, try to keep it consistent and not fluctuating all over the place.

At this point, I think a damp paper towel is working the best. I have to use tiny bits of water to get the humidity at an okay level. I'm expecting this to be a lot of work, but that's okay. It's a cheap incubator.

Humidity is more stable now. It does drop pretty fast though. How do I keep humidity up overnight? The latest I would be able to fill it would probably be 10:30pm and the earliest 7:30-8am. Should I just get humidity to 60-70% and let it drop overnight?

Back
Top Bottom