Apparently low humidity isnt a bad thing for the first 18 days?

CluckEmUp

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2024
Hey again, just starting out with everything here and have set up my empty computer case as incubator.

My temperature levels are perfect at stable 37.5 celcius (99.5 fahrenheit), but the humidity seems too low at only 40%, then I added a wet sponge and only jumped to 46%, so gonna have to check whats up with that (im using 2 different temperature/humidity meters and both show the same values). Anyways I first read here that humidity should be 50-55% and something like 70-75% for the last 3 days, so I was worried.

However I found a blog post that actually says dry incubating has better hatch results. Apparently what they do is not add any water at all, keep humidity even as low as 15% and only increase it to 70-75% at the last 3 days. Somehow this works better?

Thoughts about this? I'm gonna keep my humidity levels where its at now (40% +/-), maybe buy another meter to make sure, but it sounds like there shouldnt be much to worry if humidity is low, and only the last 3 days are vital

If I can post links, this is where I read it: https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2018/03/dry-incubation.html

I've found quite a few opinions that run 'dry incubation' under 30% especially for the darker eggs of Marans. I've read the slightly thicker shells and/or darker pigment retains more humidity requiring less for incubating. Also read that some bump the temp up to 100-100.5 also.
I think I worded that correctly, I'm new to all this, myself.
I've got my incubator set right now hovering at 100 and 25-30% for my Marans eggs, so hoping it goes well for my first official hatch.
Good luck with your computer case design. Would like to see pics if you care to share.. 👍

Hey again, just starting out with everything here and have set up my empty computer case as incubator.

My temperature levels are perfect at stable 37.5 celcius (99.5 fahrenheit), but the humidity seems too low at only 40%, then I added a wet sponge and only jumped to 46%, so gonna have to check whats up with that (im using 2 different temperature/humidity meters and both show the same values). Anyways I first read here that humidity should be 50-55% and something like 70-75% for the last 3 days, so I was worried.

However I found a blog post that actually says dry incubating has better hatch results. Apparently what they do is not add any water at all, keep humidity even as low as 15% and only increase it to 70-75% at the last 3 days. Somehow this works better?

Thoughts about this? I'm gonna keep my humidity levels where its at now (40% +/-), maybe buy another meter to make sure, but it sounds like there shouldnt be much to worry if humidity is low, and only the last 3 days are vital

If I can post links, this is where I read it: https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2018/03/dry-incubation.html
I tried it and got a lower hatch rate. Mine does best averaging 45/47ish. I think porus eggs, the incubator you're using and your ambient air in your house matters too. What works for one does not work for all so you'll have to figure out what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom