how to make chainlink less ug…?

BeccaaStancil

Songster
7 Years
May 18, 2016
Alabama
Does anyone have experience with framing a chain link chicken run with wood? Or actually, just any tips to make a chain link run look less hideous. I don’t know what happened but I can’t stand chainlink. I used to think it looked nice. My entire yard is fenced with chainlink and my chicken run is 20x20 made with 6’ chainlink kennel panels. I’m drowning in chainlink.

I’m definitely painting the entire run black. But I don’t think that’s enough to make it pretty. Not much info online about framing it in wood so if anyone has experience…please help me

I started a garden around the perimeter of the fence with taller shrubs to hide some but honestly I don’t want to just cover up the ugly I want to make it look nice.

I know i’m being extra but someone has to feel the same about it, right? Anyone?

ps sorry to anyone who likes chain link please don’t yell at me

Plant a border of flowers around it-marigolds are tough and sunflowers are dual purpose as once they mature you can feed the 'head' to the chickens. I've seen people dress up their coops with old license plates, glass bottles and so forth.
Oh yes! Got my marigolds just gotta plant them! I just hate that they won’t be there year round which is why I got some ever green shrubs for winter.

Pics would help get suggestions I think.

There are many different aesthetics so knowing what you like will help.
Clever signs, metal art, rustic, eclectic, modern, greenery, cottage garden etc...

Oh yes! Got my marigolds just gotta plant them! I just hate that they won’t be there year round which is why I got some ever green shrubs for winter.
Is there a perennial vine that you can plant around the base? You'd probably want one that is not poisonous to chickens.

I have seen people weave yarn into fences, and that looked cool, but the rain and sun would fade that over time, so you would need to redo it every couple years.

Pics would help get suggestions I think.

There are many different aesthetics so knowing what you like will help.
Clever signs, metal art, rustic, eclectic, modern, greenery, cottage garden etc...
Gonns have to excuse the absolute wreck this is, it’s been under reconstruction for a couple weeks now. Took down the bird netting from the roof to build something sturdier. we’ve put up bird netting twice and it does good for a bit but eventually a branch from that massive tree falls and ruins it.

The run is absolutely not predator proof but the girls were free ranging pretty much constantly and getting locked up at night so we never focused too much on the run. Now that they are unfortunately only out when supervised, my goal is to reinforce it (the original reason for renovating) while also making it aesthetically pleasing 😂 The coop and the chick pen inside the run are both getting painted, painting the chainlink black and I have to figure out something for the roof and canopy so the water doesn’t run down the side of the coop when it rains. I’m hoping that framing it in wood is a possibility for extra support but also to hide the main rods on the fence panels, because those are really what makes it so ugly to me. I love the modern look but also with the cottage vibe, I want less yard more forest so Ive got plans for planting a ton of greenery around this area and adding paths! I want this to be the last renovation to the coop and run that I do, atleast for a very long time so I wanna make it look amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
My own run is reclaimed chain link so I understand the ug factor lol.

Mine is mounted to 4x4 posts so no tube frame to contend with.
Chain link is galvanized. I am not sure paint will stick.

Perhaps a flower bed border with tall airy flowers like cosmos and a few low growing shrubs like pretty azaleas. I would make a sweeping curved border on the flower bed and maybe add a taller statue too.

Back
Top Bottom