how to make roosters not fight OR white silkie roo needs good home

bantam farm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 24, 2011
Massachusetts
We have two roosters, and now that they've grown up it seems they are fighting more and more. our options are to make them friendly or give one away. we only have five chickens (2 roosters), and they are pets. Are there tricks to make roosters friendly with each other, or do we need to give one away? is there anyone who would like to take a white silkie rooster? we would like it to go to a good home, and not on a dinner table. They are both friendly roosters and are handled daily here. Our silkie may just need a new good home. If you live in or near Massachusetts and could adopt a white silkie rooster, please email us at [email protected]. we can send pictures of the silkie in a reply email, it's a nice looking rooster.

This is also posted in the thread "chicken breeders and ..." but it probably belongs here more.

They are figuring out their pecking order, who is top dog. It may take a while but once they settle the order they may settle down. The other factors are how big is the run/coop, bigger is better and will have more personal space.

For me I have kept in my flock a few roosters. At smallest I had 12 hens with 3 roosters. Right now I have 3 roosters together in a pen, 3 silkie roosters in with 4 hens and in the bigger barn I have 4 roosters that are 15 weeks with around 30 hens. Fights are normal while they are figuring out the order and then it settles down. This summer I had 15 roosters that were in one pen.

The fighting has gotten more violent and frequent as the roosters aged. At first we were letting them settle it themselves, although the fighting had turned into leaping and pecking and clawing. A few days ago we walked in to a scene where one was bleeding and they were still in the midst of fighting. This was when we began separating them. Our biggest concern is that with such frequent and increasingly violent fighting, one could be killed. Both me and my brother are at school for a lot of the day, and at that time there is clearly nobody there to make sure they're ok. You don't think they will kill each other? one possible additional cause could be that the first female is nearly old enough to begin laying. (the other two hens are younger than all the rest) This could potentially spark conflict. We don't think space is the problem, as they have plenty of room to scratch and peck the ground.

There are just too few hens for two roosters. There is no nice or mean to it, they are roosters and thats what they do. You need to rehome one of those roosters for sure or get a lot more hens as they are fighting for dominance over your very small flock.

Thank you for all the help. I guess we just need to find him a new home.
check our page if you are interested in him for more details.

You "make" them not fight by keeping them separated. If they are together, there will be social status adjustments on an on-going basis. If you dislike the social interaction, then pen them separately. They are doing what roosters do.

Back
Top Bottom