How to "Mark" Chickens for Identification

Get some small spiral bands. They don't fit tightly around the leg in the first place, and If the bird grows, the bands have some give to them.

Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about, but you may be able to get smaller quantities elsewhere. http://www.strombergschickens.com/prod_detail_list/spiral-bands

We use size 9 for full grown hens, if that helps you with sizing.

do you start with the size 9 when they are young or do you replace them as the hens grow?

do you start with the size 9 when they are young or do you replace them as the hens grow?
Size 9 should take you pullet through adult as long as you aren't marking Jersey Giants or another very large-legged bird.

Sigh, I have a bunch of size 11 bands and I just found another one on the coop floor this morning. Size 11 is just too large for my pullets. I was just thinking today that I had to give up on my size 11's and buy some more 9's.

How would one go about marking Japanese "Cot" Quail?

I've thought of the small straw method for chicks & small coloured zip ties for adults. Not sure if I'd do wing markings/tags, though they'll all be penned in anyways.

Also, how does one go about coding them? I can imagine one leg has blue for boys, red for girls, then colour codes based off year or layer or whatnot. How would you go about colour coding yours for eggs/meat?
We use a system where we color/leg code for year. So all the hens born in 2013 are blue/right leg. Last year they were green/right leg. Next year they will be yellow/left leg since I still have some yellow/right leg hens from 2011. We use the bandettes that have numbers on them.

I don't bother to code for meat. The meaties are in a separate pen and it's obvious by looking at them how old they are, etc.

WalkingOnSunshine, thank you for noting how you do yours. As my Quail will end up looking all the same I will most likely mark them all. They only live a couple years (unlike chickens which can live up to 15 if well cared for) so I won't have to worry so much about switching band id colours.

Thanks again!

I bought some leg rings, can't remember what size i got, but they did eventually outgrow them. I am now using brightly colored zipties i got from harbor freight, very cheaply I might ad. If they get too tight, i snip them off w/ scissors and put a new one one.

Back
Top Bottom