How to pick up ducks and geese?

If I have to pick one up I go around their body over their wings so they don't hit me with them[been there done that] then I pick them up, it's called a football hold. I also put my hand under their feet. Mind you I don't pick them up unless I have to because they really don't like to be picked up. I will walk them into their coop so I don't have to chase anyone and make them stressed.
https://opensanctuary.org//safe-goose-handling/

If I have to pick one up I go around their body over their wings so they don't hit me with them[been there done that] then I pick them up, it's called a football hold. I also put my hand under their feet. Mind you I don't pick them up unless I have to because they really don't like to be picked up. I will walk them into their coop so I don't have to chase anyone and make them stressed.
https://opensanctuary.org//safe-goose-handling/
Thank you, this is really helpful!! ❤️

Hello,
I have 4 Chinese brown geese 2 Cayuga ducks and 2 muscovies.
All of them panic when I pick them up, and I was wondering if there's something I could do for them to warm up to me more and be more calm when I pick them up? Or if there's any better way for me to pick them up :love
I only pick them up when I need to!!

I have muscovy and Pekins. the Pekins are easy to pick up and while they are not inviting pick up, they forgive and forget easily. I use the arm across their wing and under their belly, holding them n ext to my body: I think that is what @Miss Lydia calls a football hold. Me being from England, it would be a rugby hold!

My muscovy are another matter. My bigger muscovy -- he is enormous -- is cuddly but I don't pick him up unless I have to as it must be very uncomfortable for him having his weight on his belly. With him, I put my left arm underneath him, between his legs back to forward so that his weight is on his pelvis and I have my right arm free arm to pet his head to keep him calm. He is very docile, but if he sees me coming in similar circumstances again, he runs away!! Clever boy!

My other muscovy drake is a big boy but not huge. He doesn't like being touched but he is the one I have to pick up most as he "forgets his manners" and attacks my feet. Not always, but every couple of days. He does this when I am busy getting food dishes and water tubs ready for the ducks to go to bed, or when I go in the garden to work, or take my compost bucket round behind my shed to the composter. I don't know why he does it particularly as it results in him being picked up with the football hold or any other old I can get him in, and put him in a dogcrate. He only has to be in there for 2 -3 minutes, but I have to keep a dogcrate in the yard for the purpose. When he comes out he is as meek and mild as can be and behaves for the rest of the day. I rarely am able to get my left arm under his pelvis when he is fighting my feet. Its just grab and go to the dogcrate!

Back
Top Bottom