How to prevent algae build-up in nipple waterer?? Help!

Lark Rise

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2011
East Central Georgia
We made several nipple waterers that are attached to 5 gallon buckets. How do you prevent gross algae build-up in it?
sickbyc.gif

Some of the nipples are now clogged. Please advise......

57234197.jpg

Last edited:
You want to use a reservoir that is dark, to avoid light transmission, because that's what algae needs to propagate. Preferably placed in shade, or maybe make an enclosure to keep light out.

I agree with MakNugget; block the sunlight. I wrapped my 5 gal. waterer in Reflectix bubble insulation (left over from building my coop). I drop a frozen gallon jug of water inside to keep the water cool for the birds too when the temps start getting close to 110+. After nearly a year, I haven't had any algae at all inside.

56638_nipplewaterer.jpeg

Quote:
Best idea of all. Because of the reflective nature of the product, warming the water by radiant enegy is nearly eliminated in the summer . And the insulation helps slow down freezing in the winter by preventing conduction. In addition to that if the birds are pecking at the insulation the nipples are to low. (May not be a valid point if the pirds are of different sizes.)

Remember it takes three things for algae to grow. Light, Nutrients, Water. Deprive it of any one and it cannot live.

Last edited:
Quote:
What I want to know is how you get grass to grow like this when chickens are anywhere in the vicinity.

White PVC will allow light transfer and algae will grow in the pipe your nipples are installed into.... White garden hose has this same issue and is the reason irrigation hose is always black in yards, parks, etc. Use dark hose or somehow darken your white PVC and it will help greatly. Perhaps some black plastic electrical tape?

Last edited:
I painted my 5 gal bucket black then a layer of white. Black blocks the light, white doesn't absorb heat. So far so good. Not sure schedule 40 pvc allows light to get thru. I'll try that in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom