How to prevent frostbite??

HenMomma7650

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
this winter is going to be the coldest it’s been for these hens and I’ve just built a new coop that doesn’t have all the good stuff my old one did. The insulation was half done since I had to put construction on pause when the snow came in and there are even still holes in the roof from where the wall next to the roof isn’t flat.

Plus I’m new to ducks and I’m not sure how to keep them and my chickens safe from frostbite, any help??

Keep your coop DRY and well ventilated, at least one square foot of ventilation per bird.
Where are you?
In the west of Iowa literally 20 minute drive to the Missouri river

I haven’t got much to work with since I’m snowed in and there’s too much ice on the roads to travel and get supplies but I’ll work on keeping snow out of the coop

This!!

And keep the wind from blowing on the chickens. I have filter material over my coop openings. Moist, warm and ammonia rise and can escape, but the filters stop the wind almost totally.
That’s genius I tried a vent on my last coop but the wind would get rid of any heat so I had to keep it mostly closed for the winter
What kind of filter material is it? Do you think any kind would work?

Back
Top Bottom