How to RAISE a good rooster.

Pics
I raise all my roosters with a hands off approach. They grow up weary of me and they keep their distance. When I approach they go the other way. A young rooster shouldn't be too forward or invade your personal space. I make sure as they mature they run from me. When they are mature, after 2 years, I don't care as much, and they usually become more friendly with age. After 2 years my roosters can do as they please. They remain respectful to me.

I raise multiple roosters a year. They are all different breeds. None are aggressive with me. So either my technique works 100% of the time, or it's me. :)

I did the same with our rooster :)
He was 2 months old when i adopted him (because he would be predator’s meal..)
It may sound a bit strange, but i felt like i had to raise him like a (little) dog, haha.
Like you said, i wanted him to respect me.
He just turned one year (february) and it seems like it worked.

If they’re totally free ranging hens 24/7 with chicks they need to be able to protect them. I’m glad you don’t raise them too.
Mine free range during the day, but are in a coop at night. I agree that hens need to protect their babies.

You do not know what is to have birds that can relax to the point where they trust you with their offspring. Only some fly up and only when called to do. You be jealous.
But... mine don't fly up. And nope - not jealous at all. I'm perfectly happy with the arrangement between my hens and me. We all have different circumstances and goals for our flocks. Mine works for me.
I think we're getting into a subject that is off-topic and dangerously close to turning into an argument...
You're right - sorry for getting side tracked. I will behave, I promise! :oops: I don't want your thread to be shut down.

Back
Top Bottom