How to raise poultry with neighbors?

My neighborhood permits poultry but there is a noise policy and a policy that the coop has to be a certain distance away from your home.

The morning egg song was enough for my neighbors to file a noise complaint.

I have a neighbor who has mallards.
Your guineas are absolutely going to break that noise policy

My neighborhood permits poultry but there is a noise policy and a policy that the coop has to be a certain distance away from your home.

The morning egg song was enough for my neighbors to file a noise complaint.

I have a neighbor who has mallards.
I'd check into the actual ordinances. There's been an increase of urban and suburban areas amending ordinances allowing for small numbers of chickens for personal egg production. If there's policy regarding coop placement and noise, I'm betting there's also fencing requirements, etc. Many of these ordinances are very specific on what species of poultry you can own. Gamebirds and waterfowl may or may not fall under as legal. All it takes is for one person to raise a stink.

On the flip side, if you have met all legal requirements including keeping your birds on your property, and are complying with all of your community's rules and you get chickens (or whatever is legal for you) and your neighbor doesn't like the egg song, tough luck for them. An egg song is no worse than an incessantly barking dog, which is a case you could make.

Why? I see no issue with animals using public land if they present no nuisance. Animals should live as free as possible
Domestic animals have no place in the ecosystem. They are invasive and destructive, competing with wild animals and destroying resources (destroying actual wildlife in the case of cats). They have no right to be turned loose in nature, and no claim to that kind of freedom if that’s what you mean by “free”.

Domestic animals have no place in the ecosystem. They are invasive and destructive, competing with wild animals and destroying resources (destroying actual wildlife in the case of cats). They have no right to be turned loose in nature, and no claim to that kind of freedom if that’s what you mean by “free”.
The neighborhood does not count as an ecosystem.

Also, guineas share the exact same niche as turkeys (which are found in the wild here). Tell me one thing that a guinea could possibly do to ¨destroy¨ resources. They actually get rid of invasive bugs and ticks.

Also, chickens have been free ranging in American soil for decades, ever since the first Jamestown settlement in Virginia. These ground birds share the same niche as wild turkeys so they are no problem to the vivid ecosystem of America.

Back
Top Bottom