How to raise poultry with neighbors?

Humans are still freely grazing animals on public land on every continent though. That's never changed

What makes something right or wrong?

Your view is idealistic. The park next to me is abandoned, (formerly) filled with trash, heroin needles, and random fires from drug users that also chop down trees occasionally. I have removed a literal ton of litter from the forest, the springs, and waist deep in a swamp on countless occasions. I've even stopped a forest fire. All because the agencies you speak of have all entirely given up on this place

This thread is about how to peacefully keep poultry with neighbors. You speaking about government organizations is irrelevant to this discussion of keeping neighborhood peace
that's true

I'm just going to throw a scenario out that has happened to someone I know personally.

Bird owner has birds that are not penned and free roam a suburban neighborhood; a subdivision with a large pond in the middle of it. Neighbors get miffed at bird owner for some reason (whether bird-related or not, I don't know) and start collecting written complaints from other residents against bird owner. Ticked neighbor goes to town board with complaints. Back and forth ensues. Town board ends up filing lawsuit against bird owner for "damage" to the town done by birds for a ridiculous amount of money (over 10k) that included punitive damages because birds made the resident's lives a living hell. Judge ends up siding with town board, leaving bird owner in a heck of a situation.

Lawsuit was a complete sham and a waste of time. But it just goes to show, you tick off the right people and you have a huge problem on your hands. It seems the biggest jerks usually know the people to get their way. Hence why they're jerks. A problem that was completely avoidable, all because you didn't want to spend the time to build a secure pen for your birds.

The simple fact is, some people don't like animals. Personally, I think those people are nuts but hey, to each their own. However, if I lived in a suburban area I wouldn't expect to find a turkey or a guinea in my backyard and it is simply unreasonable to expect someone to be fine with it. I love free ranging my birds, but you cannot visit your hobby on someone else.

OP has stated once that the birds wouldn't dare go to a neighbor's yard, then turned around and said the only time they'd hop the neighbor's fence is when they would be curious, but would only be pecking there for a minute. A minute is all it takes. Plus, if you really think free range birds will stay only in one place i.e. the forest area, you're frankly dreaming. If there is one place you don't want them to be, they will make it there eventually.

You can say humans have been letting animals graze on public land for thousands of years til you're blue in the face. When that code officer shows up with a fat ticket and you tell him that, he's going to take that ticket and stick it in between your eyes.

The land belongs to my county, and I checked their regulations. They allow cats to roam in the forest. The only animal restriction regarding public land is that dogs must be on their leashes. It mentions nothing about guineafowl let alone turkeys, but I assume that if cats are allowed to legally roam then so should my guineafowl.
Rules for cats are often very different than rules for other kinds of animals.

Turkeys would would be poultry, and guineas would probably be considered poultry as well. Poultry are sometimes considered livestock and sometimes have separate rules of their own.

But if you did check, and they do not say anything about poultry or livestock, then I suppose that's as good as you can do about checking with the owner of the forest.

The simple fact is, some people don't like animals.
There are plenty of jerks out there, but you don't have to dislike animals to be against them free roaming and trespassing (whether on private or on public land). So I just want to emphasize that the people against roaming aren't necessarily animal-hating jerks, in fact they can love animals quite a lot, they just disagree with the entitled attitude and the aftermath of roaming animals (since you can't order animals where not to go and can't guarantee they won't shit in somebody's yard).

There are plenty of jerks out there, but you don't have to dislike animals to be against them free roaming and trespassing (whether on private or on public land). So I just want to emphasize that the people against roaming aren't necessarily animal-hating jerks, in fact they can love animals quite a lot, they just disagree with the entitled attitude and the aftermath of roaming animals (since you can't order animals where not to go and can't guarantee they won't shit in somebody's yard).
Absolutely. The jerks are the ones that drag you to court and want you to pay 10k in punitive damages over nothing. No one has to put up with someone else's cats, dogs, birds, bugs, or whatever else they keep on property they maintain and pay taxes on. Expecting so is unreasonable.

Absolutely. The jerks are the ones that drag you to court and want you to pay 10k in punitive damages over nothing. No one has to put up with someone else's cats, dogs, birds, bugs, or whatever else they keep on property they maintain and pay taxes on. Expecting so is unreasonable.
Exactly. I had to fight an actual animal-hating jerk who wanted to dictate what I can and cannot keep on my own property, when the town didn't mind at all (non-roaming female chickens in this case). He had no authority or reasonable grounds to complain, so I fought him and won. If my chickens had been wandering onto his property though, that would've been a different case and he would've absolutely had the right to go after me, had I not conceded and penned up my chickens.

Rules for cats are often very different than rules for other kinds of animals.

Turkeys would would be poultry, and guineas would probably be considered poultry as well. Poultry are sometimes considered livestock and sometimes have separate rules of their own.

But if you did check, and they do not say anything about poultry or livestock, then I suppose that's as good as you can do about checking with the owner of the forest.
The forest is monitored by the county, and if county laws do not state anything about poultry, then there is no issue to worry about.

Cats are way more destructive than turkeys.

This argument doesn't hold water. You can't enjoy their beautiful spotted feathers if they're in the forest so far away you can't see or hear them. Cage them on your own property until they are old enough to harvest their feathers, that's more believable.

You've had enough fun agitating strife here. I'm out.
I love watching my birds roost and forage from a distance.

It is not humane to cage a guineafowl. They are active gamebirds and need to excercise their legs and wings. They aint broiler chickens to be caged up. They are a free range bird.

Back
Top Bottom