How to raise wood ducks?

Hello! My friends recently rescued 3 baby wood ducks! They are trying to find a place to take them, but in the meantime, anyone know how to care for them? Thank you!
Hello! Good job rescuing them! Definitely don't try to keep them long term, a rescue would be the best for them. But I can help you on care info until then.
How old are they?

I do have the proper permits.
If they did indeed need to be rescued, then OP is doing the correct thing by trying to find a rescue.
I know you do, I also do btw.

The law still clearly states:
The statute makes it unlawful without a waiver to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, or sell nearly 1,100 species of birds listed therein as migratory birds. The statute does not discriminate between live or dead birds and also grants full protection to any bird parts including feathers, eggs, and nests.

The correct and legal thing to do for somebody that doesn't have the permits is to call their local wildlife services (whatever they are called) and report it to be rescued.

I know you do, I also do btw.

The law still clearly states:
Cool. Do you have ducks too?

I know it does. I've taken lots of birds to rescues before though, and there's really no other way to get them there than to put them in a carrier and transport them. My rescue won't come out to where I am (I'm 45 minutes away) and pick up animals.

Cool. Do you have ducks too?

I know it does. I've taken lots of birds to rescues before though, and there's really no other way to get them there than to put them in a carrier and transport them. My rescue won't come out to where I am (I'm 45 minutes away) and pick up animals.
Not at the moment, I used to have mallards and have raised wood ducks and geese before. Fixing to get some bobwhites tho. Got tired of the mess waterfowl left on my pond.

I live out in the sticks and the game and fish have driven 2 hours out to me before.

Not at the moment, I used to have mallards and have raised wood ducks and geese before. Fixing to get some bobwhites tho. Got tired of the mess waterfowl left on my pond.

I live out in the sticks and the game and fish have driven 2 hours out to me before.
That's neat. I love my Bobwhites. Ducks are very messy, lol.

Mine is not game and fish, it's some small privately owned rescue. They're mostly volunteer too, so maybe they just don't have enough staff? Idk. I always call them whenever I find something and they say to bring it in, so 🤷‍♀️

Yeah had 70+ mallards at one time. Been a few years since we last had bobwhites. Got rid of everything because at the time I was working on the road (electrican) and didn't have the time to care for them. Now I'm on disability I have nothing but time.

Back
Top Bottom