How to replenish flock

mts526

Chirping
Jul 10, 2022
Florida
I ordered 3 pullets in May and received 4 birds. After several weeks I discovered that 2/4 were cockerels. After much effort, I've rehomed one (not allowed where I live) and am hoping to find a home for the 2nd soon.

Which will leave me with two 3-month-old pullets in August (one Welsummer, one White Rock). I would prefer to have three birds, but my coop can support a snug four. I am very hesitant to start another two chicks (thinking I shouldn't have just 1 chick in a brooder) given my luck with sexing last time. But I am not sure whether it makes more sense to try to find an adult bird (or where to even do that). Or whether the two ladies will be just fine without another bird or two.

Or wait until spring. Your birds are young, so the chance of ending up with a single bird is small. Pray for a broody hen.

Getting new birds in a small coop can be a real challenge.

If you go with the 4-H kids and get one bird, which is a good idea for your set up because you will KNOW they are pullets. Do not introduce her to the pair. First, let your original birds out in the garden in the afternoon. Lock the new bird alone in the coop/run area. Feed a good treat along the fence.

Let in the original birds as close to dark as you can. Do go down early in the morning. That might be all you need to do.

IF they are mean to her, and sometimes they can be heartless, pick one of the original, and put her out in the garden, by herself. Now the two in the coop/run, may duke it out, but one on one is better odds and it generally winds up a lot of bluster, and then sorts out. Keep doing that 2-3 days, and try again.

MRs K

Or wait until spring. Your birds are young, so the chance of ending up with a single bird is small. Pray for a broody hen.

Getting new birds in a small coop can be a real challenge.

If you go with the 4-H kids and get one bird, which is a good idea for your set up because you will KNOW they are pullets. Do not introduce her to the pair. First, let your original birds out in the garden in the afternoon. Lock the new bird alone in the coop/run area. Feed a good treat along the fence.

Let in the original birds as close to dark as you can. Do go down early in the morning. That might be all you need to do.

IF they are mean to her, and sometimes they can be heartless, pick one of the original, and put her out in the garden, by herself. Now the two in the coop/run, may duke it out, but one on one is better odds and it generally winds up a lot of bluster, and then sorts out. Keep doing that 2-3 days, and try again.

MRs K
Thank you, these ideas will likely be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom