How to rescue a kitten(?)

I had to scroll through quickly since I'm in a hurry here, but basically just get what kitten food you can into her be it dry or wet. Offer her everything you can. There's no need for kitten milk unless she's at a nursing stage. The pet stores will have a product called NutriCal which is a high calorie paste to get the animal to eat. The cat one also has Taurine which is found in flesh. Cats need this. Stay away from fish because it has ash in it and that causes cats UTIs. You can also give her cut up cooked chicken including some of the fat. Get her to the vet to have her dewormed. The stuff on the shelf at the pet stores is ok, but it can often cause severe stomach upset and sometimes does more hard than good. The stuff the vet has is often easier on the stomach. If you're worried about the cost of a vet visit then shop around. Let the vet offices know you just adopted this kitten and see if they'll give you a discount for adopting something in such need. A good vets office will work with you on cost. If they know you're in a tough financial situation then they'll work with you.

Poor kitty! She is so lucky you took her in. When they need to gain weight, it just takes good food and time. I would tend to stick with a balanced food, just because she would also be getting the vitamins and minerals she needs to rebuild her body, also. She will use the food to rebuild her internal organs, then her muscle, then her fur. Starting to groom herself again is a good sign that she's feeling better and also more comfortable in her new home.

I'm glad you aren't seeing any fleas. Drugs to kill external and internal parasites are hard on emaciated animals. Until you can get to the vet, I would just keep feeding the best quality canned food you can afford. The vet can worm her, plus by then, she'll be stronger and in better condition. The vet can also take a good look at her teeth. Bad teeth problems can also cause some drooling and an aversion to drinking cold water, as well as hard food.

I hope things go well at the vet.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom