How to rest birds without fridge space?

FlockFromPa

Songster
May 18, 2020
Northwest Pennsylvania
We are processing half (11) of our Cornish cross this weekend. This will be our first time ever. We are skinning then and plan to cut them in pieces. I'm wondering how we can rest the birds for the recommended 24-48 hours if we don't have room in the fridge? Letting them rest after we freeze them isn't really an option because I'm not that prepared lol i have 3 little kids and i normally pull something out of the freezer the day I'm cooking it. Any input is greatly appreciated! Hoping this goes smoothly because we already have a second batch started in the brooder!

Attachments

• IMG_20220728_171826347_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220728_171826347_HDR.jpg
    679.4 KB · Views: 64
Just throwing this out there..one of the really large coolers and some ice and then maybe some sorta rack to elevate the chicken off the ice so it doesn't freeze..I know not very helpful..I am in your boat. My fridge is always full. I play where do I put this everyday..
This was my husband's idea too but he was thinking if he leaves the drain open and the ice on top that it would be fine..I'm assuming it would still absorb water that way right?

Some just put them straight in the freezer, then take them out to cook them, so no resting. Resting makes the meat better, though you don't have to rest.

You can do the cooler idea like @samanthaoverton had suggested, but keep the cooler indoors and watch the temps! You don't want your meat spoiling. If you do coolers, I more strongly suggest that you put what's in your fridge in your cooler, and the chickens in the fridge.

If all else fails, ask friends and family if you can put a couple in their fridges for a couple of days. ;)

We are skinning then and plan to cut them in pieces.
That's what I do when I butcher. Less freezer space and that suits how I cook them.

I'm wondering how we can rest the birds for the recommended 24-48 hours if we don't have room in the fridge?
A common problem. Ice chests with ice is a common solution. Make sure you have enough ice. Some people age the meat in ice water, with or without salt or other ingredients. Some age it dry but with ice. Some package it before aging, some after. To me in ice water is the easiest way, it won't get burned form direct contact with ice.

Letting them rest after we freeze them isn't really an option because I'm not that prepared lol i have 3 little kids and i normally pull something out of the freezer the day I'm cooking it.
I understand that but you want to thaw it before cooking it, even if it is already aged. You get a higher quality product.

Hoping this goes smoothly because we already have a second batch started in the brooder!
:thumbsup

We pre-cool our coolers. So, bring them inside overnight. Add ice. Drain water next morning, butcher, lay on ice -one layer, then more ice, another layer of chicken. We have aged in cooler like this then finished the cutting and packaging after a few days. Or, put several in a good kitchen trash bag (strong one that is less likely to break/rip) and put in fridge on a tray. Usually have gotten about 5-6 full grown (8 week) Cornish cross per fridge shelf in a side-by-side fridge. The tray is in case of any leaks.

This was my husband's idea too but he was thinking if he leaves the drain open and the ice on top that it would be fine..I'm assuming it would still absorb water that way right?
We use coolers to rest the meat birds. No need to leave the drain open. You actually want some water in there too, otherwise the skin dries out. We throw in some salt as well.

Also, we cool them in cold water for about 30 minutes before putting them into the cooler. That helps a lot with keeping the cooler cleaner and the amount of ice needed.

For those of you saying you age them in a cooler, do you bag the chickens first before doing this, or just put them straight in there?

Also, if you put just ice, does it do something to the texture of the skin? If you do ice water, does the skin absorb water (if the chicken is not bagged)?

I had the same question as OP so just wanted to add my follow up questions here as well.

I rest my birds unpackaged in a cooler. I will typically cool them off a bit in a bucket of ice after plucking, before eviscerating. So I dispatch, pluck, put plucked bird in ice water BUCKET to cool off. Then when I am done pluckin 4 or 5 I will eviscerate the ones in the water bucket and put them whole straight into a cooler with ICE WATER. When I have finished processing all the birds, I open the drain on the cooler to let the water out, and add another layer of ice on top of the birds. In my experience, a young cornish x doesn't need a whole 48 hrs to rest. The older/bigger the animal, the more the meat needs to rest. For my 8-10 wk old cornish x, i rest them about half a day. If i process them in the morn, I will package them and put them in the freezer that night. If i process in the afternoon I will just rest them over night. I don't typically use salt in my "chill tank". They have all been incredibly tender.

As far as the skin, I have not noticed a difference in texture. From opening the cooler drain, they are pretty dry when i take them out of the cooler. Usually a quick wipe down with some paper towel, or alternatively 20 minutes drip drying in a dedicated dish drain, and they are ready to go. There was one time I forgot to open the drain. They were pretty waterlogged so I hung them up by the leg outside for a few hours. They drip dried and were fine.
For those of you saying you age them in a cooler, do you bag the chickens first before doing this, or just put them straight in there?

Also, if you put just ice, does it do something to the texture of the skin? If you do ice water, does the skin absorb water (if the chicken is not bagged)?

I had the same question as OP so just wanted to add my follow up questions here as well.

Recently processed a 10lb, 18 month old heritage NH. That bad boy I used the same method but rested him for about 30 hours. Very tender.

Back
Top Bottom