How to rest birds without fridge space?

Thank you everyone for your replies!! We successfully did it and the meat is absolutely beautiful! We ended up getting a giant cooler.. although we didn't need it at all lol our smaller one would of worked. We parted the birds out as we processed. Didn't even have to gut them! It was awesome. They all ended up fitting into the bottom of my fridge and are still resting! I will probably freeze tomorrow. It's been a little over 2 days then

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_195844892.jpg
    IMG_20220807_195844892.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220807_151426172_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220807_151426172_HDR.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 16
I just processed about seven 3 month old Dark Cornish/Breese crosses and did not rest them before seasoning, frying and roasting, and it was surprisingly tender. Furthermore, I did not notice that much of a difference as I roasted and fried them through out the week.

I just processed about seven 3 month old Dark Cornish/Breese crosses and did not rest them before seasoning, frying and roasting, and it was surprisingly tender. Furthermore, I did not notice that much of a difference as I roasted and fried them through out the week.
How is the Dark Cornish/Bresse cross turn out?

How is the Dark Cornish/Bresse cross turn out?
They look skinny, but growth was in line with what I see with heritage birds. I typically see 1lbs of growth per month, so 3 1/2 lbs avg was in line with my expectations. However, this was the first time I processed birds at 3 months and was happy with the tender texture of the meat when fried or roasted. My experience with frying 4 to 5 month old birds were disappointing, so it was something I had to do..............

I had one pure white pea comb cockerel with yellow legs from the Dark Cornish/Breese cross. The rest were either white with black spots or pyle color with white or yellow legs. I did not keep any to breed,

I have decided to line breed my Breese/Cornish X crosses. The growth rate from my brother sister breeding group are superior to any heritage breeds that I have raised.
I am raising these for frying or roasting.
DSCN0603.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom