How to save money on chicken feed?

I'm currently paying $15 for a 50 pound bag of purina chicken feed. I'm looking to reduce the cost as much as possible. However, when looking for chicken feed what % of protein would I want? Im looking into possibly buying 100 pound bags Of feed if I can find it at a better price without losing the quality of the feed.

I cut a deal with a local grocery store to take some of their day old produce and other expired stuff to save them dumpster space and to put some of it to good use vs just tossing it away... They won't give me any meat products but I get offered more fruits, vegetables, dairy, bread and some expired canned or other packaged items then I can use each day... I could literally fill a pickup truck full nearly every night from this single store, but don't take nearly that much, only what my birds will eat that day, unless it's something that will last a few days... And it's a varied diet as they toss different stuff away every day...

My birds were consuming about 150 pounds of feed a week, now they consume about 50 pounds of feed, so it's a huge savings... They always have access to their commercial feed if they choose, and I have not seen a drop in egg production since I started doing this...

Try growing some duckweed. Put some in a tub of water and scoop out half every day or so (it reproduces very fast) Dry it for a day and feed it to your chickens. It is very high in protein

Old post, I know. But it started me thinking...What about kudzu? It grows wild and in the south is everywhere. I hear it is also high in protein. That and its promiscuity is why it was originally brought here - to be used as a cheap feed green, mainly for things like goats and cattle both of which eat a LOT.

So would it make a good chicken feed?
:cd

Why is it costing you so much? How much are you buying at a time? How many and how old are your chickens?

I just checked my math as I went from buying 50ld bags of Purina layer to local grain company's layer in 100lb bags. The cost of producing an egg for me went from .15 cents to just under .10 cents per egg. I was paying $15.50 for a 50 lb bag of Purina and now buy 100lb bags of Ventura layer for $22.32.

So for a dozen eggs is $1.20 plus the box @.22 is $1.44 cost total.
My local TSC (30+ miles away) has only 50lb bag of Purina to sell. The price is $16.49 before tax. what is your local company? is there a website? Thanks.

My chickies LOVE berries, fruit, melon rinds, etc., but it is citrus fruit that you should limit. I don’t give mine any grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime, etc. Perhaps this is what you had heard that should be limited!

Back
Top Bottom