How to save money on chicken feed?

Pics
Im a little bummed. I thought by buying chickens, building my coop and so forth, down the line we would save on it, or at least be even. I have 3 hens, and 1 rooster. should I be in the hole by owning chickens? I keep getting told, its a hobby, not a money saving, or money earning thing. That we will always be in the hole regarding money, because feed costs more than the eggs we will ever get, and so on.
I got a buzz kill. Is this true?
How can I save on having them. We are already a low income family, Im a mom with 3 sons....not married, and cant afford a hobby really. I thought this would work out.
The thing is, most people treat their chickens like pets.
They build over elaborate structures for them, never really understand the feed requirements and get caught up in all sorts of fads and new fangled notions... all of which adds to the cost.
Think recycled, reused and repurposed. Obtain basic feeds and supplement wisely.
Feed green feeds from gardens and tables.
Avoid anything your great granddad didn't use.
Go here and read this free e-book:

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/ppp/pppToC.html

It is one hundred years old, so must be viewed as such. But it offers lots of good advice for little cost.

Also check this out:
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_poultry.html

The bottom line is there is a lot of hype around "keeping chickens" ... Much of it designed to make someone money. Consumerism has crept in and spoiled a basic, traditional activity that is essentially a break even job when practiced on a small scale.

It takes research and determination to wade through that and get to the core. The biggest mistake made is thinking chickens are just and end product, part of some mundane profit and loss equation. Free meat and eggs, etc., etc.

However, they are best as part of a whole scheme of gardening, land use and improvement. Once you grasp this subtle but crucial difference, you will find an enjoyable occupation, that doesn't HAVE TO BE costly...
It also rewards you with fun, protein food and a touch back to a simpler time.

Last edited:
The thing is, most people treat their chickens like pets.
They build over elaborate structures for them, never really understand the feed requirements and get caught up in all sorts of fads and new fangled notions... all of which adds to the cost.
Think recycled, reused and repurposed. Obtain basic feeds and supplement wisely.
Feed green feeds from gardens and tables.
Avoid anything your great granddad didn't use.

X 100!

I agree, I have kept is very basic, but they are pets to us. I got a lot of the building supplies for the coop out of other peoples trash and windows at Restore York for a dollar a piece. The whole coop cost $60, but I'm way in the whole too. I was hoping someone in the area would know a feed mill. If you think chickens cost way more than the eggs, beekeeping is 1,000 times worse! Buy honey.Don't keep bess, unless you want to put tons of money in each year.

Last edited:
$60 coop??
The Scrounging Force is strong in you!

Most agricultural activities, when practiced on a small scale, are usually break even propositions at best.
This is why farmers are traditionally portrayed as noble, humble... And broke. They are well fed and rich in spirit, but money is in short supply. It's only when you employ the economy of scale that a margin profit emerges.

Last edited:

It will only hold six chickens or so but it will be perfect for when I needs to separate certain birds for breeding. We have to buy the wire yet but even after we buy the wire it will only have cost us about 20 dollars because we scrounged the rest.

It will only hold six chickens or so but it will be perfect for when I needs to separate certain birds for breeding. We have to buy the wire yet but even after we buy the wire it will only have cost us about 20 dollars because we scrounged the rest.

It's beautiful. The chickens will love it.

My girls loves Whole Wheat bread the local Bakery sells it for $2.00 a rack(8 loaves)the local Produce stand throws (free) away tons on Saturday
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom