How to seal holes in metal roofing?

Scifisarah

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Rockford MI
My Coop
My Coop
So we got these foam inserts then realized they would not fit correctly. Any ideas on what I can do to seal up these gaps/holes along the front and back edge of our roof? I used some silicone caulk along the edge so that will seal where it is flat, but I'm unsure of what sort of products would best get the job done for a gap this large. I already have vents for ventilation, and would like to close these roof gaps off to keep things warm enough in the winter especially, and to keep water out. Ideas?

Last edited:
Frankly, that is not enough of a gap to worry about. You could count them as part of the ventilation that it appears you lack. If you are concerned about predators getting through the gaps, you could pack them with non-scratch scrubbing pads.

I agree that the small roof will probably not protect from rain. You could put some sort of porch roof over the doors to keep out the water or extend the roof about 6 - 8 inches all around.

Chickens suffer from heat. They are pretty much safe from the cold, so long as they have adequate ventilation that is not drafty.

Attractive coop you have there.

Chris

Frankly, that is not enough of a gap to worry about. You could count them as part of the ventilation that it appears you lack. If you are concerned about predators getting through the gaps, you could pack them with non-scratch scrubbing pads.

I agree that the small roof will probably not protect from rain. You could put some sort of porch roof over the doors to keep out the water or extend the roof about 6 - 8 inches all around.

Chickens suffer from heat. They are pretty much safe from the cold, so long as they have adequate ventilation that is not drafty.

Attractive coop you have there.

Chris
Yeah it could use more overhang for the roof, but we didn't want the kids running around the yard and cracking heads on sharp steel corners since it is so low.
barnie.gif

I'm not too worried about rain getting through at the one door - it fits pretty snugly and has the frame wrapping around it. I guess I was more concerned about snow/water blowing in the roof gaps.

Thanks! It took a while to get done with a 3 and 5 year old taking most of our attentions but I am pretty happy with it. It almost ended up a mini version of our full size coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom