How to secure our coop quickly for storms??

bglass

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2015
Vilonia, Arkansas
We unexpectedly obtained our first chickens, 9 of them-more like a rescue really, 3 days ago. We threw together a "hoop coop" and have been working every moment we have to make the coop comfortable for them. It's an 8'x12'' and right now on cinder blocks with a plywood floor and about 6" of straw, walls and roof are cow fence and chicken wire covered with a tarp, the permanent door will be placed today and their nesting boxes are some 5 gal buckets with hay bedding (these girls lay AWESOME). It's 60-70 degrees here daily so we weren't too concerned about insulation as an "immediate need". -we focused more on food, water, and predator proof. I feel like we got a ton accomplished in 3 days
1f600.png

Until I looked at the forecast-BIG storms heading to arkansas, 3-4 days of heavy steady rain and high winds. I would almost move the coop to the garage but it's MUCH to heavy. What the heck can I weatherproof this thing quickly and effectively???? Please help!

Make sure your tarp is tied down well, especially on the prevailing winds side. A second, larger tarp wouldn't hurt. As long as the tarp does not catch wind, or you are not facing high winds, it should be fine.

Mount 2 wheels on one end and a pick point on the other to lift and pull it around like a chicken tractor. I made one that was 9x12 out of 2x4's, PVC water pipe & chicken wire without a floor to pasture mine.could move them in a moment's notice behind a building out of the storms. I also had a tarp for shade.

Back
Top Bottom