How to Sedate before Euthanizing?

While I agree that breaking or chopping the neck is the most quickest, I have never had a "bad" incident when gassing them with carbon monoxide. No fighting, flapping or panic, they just go to sleep.
I put them in a big enough water resistant/plasticized bag like a dog or chicken food bag, twist the top closed with a piece of hose inside the bag. I do use a 5' length of hose so there isn't alot of noise from the exhaust. As soon as they are in the bag they always calm down and just sit on the botton of the bag. Most of the birds I've had to put down were pretty sick or injured and just want a "safe quiet" place to rest.
Never an easy thing to do, but its our responsibility as stewards and caretakers of our feathered freinds.

Peace,
Cory

Thank you. Maybe my set up was faulty. I followed an earlier post, of putting the hen in a plastic bucket, and putting that in a garbage bag with the hose taped into the bag. Maybe your set up is more direct and without so much space, it is more effective, more quickly. Thanks for the info.
Laurel

Wow I could probably think of plenty of ways but carbon monoxide is pretty far fetched.
sickbyc.gif

I don't have a gun, I don't know horse people, and I don't think I could use a hatchet. The flapping of the body after would freak me the heck out.

Don't judge people. Be glad you have options, if you do, but don't judge others. It's not nice.

Quote:
We had a rooster that had to be culled due to injuries from a raccoon. I wrapped him in a towel with only his head and feet sticking out and laid him on the ground. My DH shot his head off. It was quick, but there was still the reflex flapping of the body, but I was expecting that since I grew up on a farm & we slaughtered chickens regularly.

Quote:
a agree with this method as being the most humane for home use. it is quick and is not like having something breathe something and gasping for breath.[

Wow....more science everywhere.... The link for the euthanasia machine gave me chills... i don't know that i could ever be another Doctor Chicvorkian... with the suicide machine....but thanks for the cool science folks.... my brain hurts now
th.gif

Starting on page 8 of this document, several methods of poultry euthanasia (Cervical Dislocation, Argon, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, Gunshot, Captive Bolt, Electrocution, Exsanguination/Decapitation, Anesthetic Overdose) and related pros and cons are described. VERY GOOD paper.

www.agrosecurity.uga.edu/annexes/Annex05_Euthanasia.pdf

For euthanization in a commercial setting, controlled-atmosphere killing offers a humane alternative to the electric stunning used in most poultry slaughterhouses. CAK uses a mixture of inert gases, such as nitrogen or argon in air with less than 2 percent residual oxygen. Inert gases don't cause the distress that chickens can experience with some other gases.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom