how to seperate your eggs at hatch? and lockdown ?'s

Kenneth Flippen

Songster
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
I'm using a Little Giant from TSC I have 4 breeds in there two lines of Red Quill which I definately want to keep seperate 4 eggs of one 7 of the other. two lines of grey, one egg of each. I think I should be able to tell the Red Quill from the greys at hatch but the seven eggs are shipped eggs and I have no idea what they will look like the other 4 are from my birds. any ideas will appreciated.

also any tips for lockdown they are due on 7/15(day 21) lockdown will be on 7/12 correct? they humidity has been between 40-49% the entire incubation temp has fluctuated between 98.8 and 101.5 keeping at 99.5-100.2 most of the time the best I can and its been here most of the incubation. I have tossed 2 eggs, one had a blood ring(one of the grey eggs) one qiut after about 3-5 days(shipped eggs) fairly good incubation so far I would like to keep it that way if possible I have only been filling the 2 outside bars with water and not the center ring I have to add water on most days morning and evening so during lockdown I'm sure I'll have to add water, will filling the center ring be enough? or will I need sponges? lockdown seems were all my problems start and I would like to change that. I realize the LG isn't the best choice but my only other incubator is a Leah Manufacturing(higginsville, MO) cabinet holding 1280 eggs in 8 trays its an old wooden style and still works fine just alot of incubator.

sorrry for the long post

Kenneth Flippen

I used hardware cloth (the plastic kind) to seperate different lines in my hovabator - worked ok. When I used an LG, I did have to fill the center, AND add sponges, which I leaned against the sides, to increase exposed surface area. Also, put bendy straws in through the vent holes when you need to add water, and use a syringe to squirt through the straws (the biggest one you can get, or it will take you FOREVER). Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom