How to socialize with mama raised chicks?

The Chick Addict

💖
Premium Feather Member
Jun 23, 2022
Texoma
Hi! I let my Silkie hen, Debbie, hatch 2 eggs a about a month ago and they hatched 5 days ago. When I try picking them up, they get really nervous and start that loud cheep when they are calling for their mama. They obviously don't like to be held but they do need to have human socialization. Any suggestions?

Hi! I let my Silkie hen, Debbie, hatch 2 eggs a about a month ago and they hatched 5 days ago. When I try picking them up, they get really nervous and start that loud cheep when they are calling for their mama. They obviously don't like to be held but they do need to have human socialization. Any suggestions?
Take a handful of chick feed and see if the mom will eat out of your hand. If she's comfortable with you she will call the chicks over to eat out of your hand. If they do just let them eat, jump in your hand and try to be as calm and still as possible. Chickens see fast or jurky movements as aggressive so try to avoid it. I like to bring my broody hens an occasional snack when they get really dedicated about not leaving the nest. Once you gain the trust of the chicks don't just reach down and grab one unless you really have to. You can see how I let there feet slide between my fingers. Then lift up a little so they climb up on there own.

Take a handful of chick feed and see if the mom will eat out of your hand. If she's comfortable with you she will call the chicks over to eat out of your hand. If they do just let them eat, jump in your hand and try to be as calm and still as possible. Chickens see fast or jurky movements as aggressive so try to avoid it. I like to bring my broody hens an occasional snack when they get really dedicated about not leaving the nest. Once you gain the trust of the chicks don't just reach down and grab one unless you really have to. You can see how I let there feet slide between my fingers. Then lift up a little so they climb up on there own.
Thanks! They seem 50/50. They will jump and eat out my hand and are curious about me. I will try not to pick them up unless necessary! Thanks!
I don't handle chicks unless it's an emergency. They tend to get a lot friendlier when the hen has had enough of them and they know you are the bringer of feed. I find my pullets don't settle down properly until they start laying though. The boys on the other hand... they follow me around like puppies.

Thanks! They seem 50/50. They will jump and eat out my hand and are curious about me. I will try not to pick them up unless necessary! Thanks!
I had a lot of fun learning how chickens communicate in the flock and just kinda mimic there behavior or at the very least understand why they do certain things. Like look straight at one is "Fighting words!" Or for a chick, you messed up and about to get a pecking lol so if you're handling one try not to point your nose directly at them. They probably communicate more with body language than sound.

I have a lot of little weird tricks. Like one I make a sound in the top of my throat kinda like the start of making a big gulp sound. But it kinda sounds like the soft clucks chickens make when they are relaxing together. In slow stedy tucks it's kinda like the sound hens use to help the chicks keep track of her. I actually used it on this day old chick today lost roaming the yard. Mom was still on the nest.
20230811_175537.jpg
maybe 20 seconds after picking him up and making the sound he was pretty relaxed despite this was our 1st interaction.

When I pick up an adult chicken I tuck them under my arm and put my other hand under there feet and lift up until they are sitting in my hand. If they try to kick or anything I take the hand away. Once they are sitting I'll use that same sound but 2 or 3 fast tucks in a row how chickens talk and wait for a response. When I do this with one of my birds the 1st time. A lot of them give me the shocked open beak side eye then talk back and I respond with the same number of tucks they make. Yes it's a little weird but I find it hilarious how it mellows them out a lot of times🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom