How to stop a broody ??

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
I have several hens trying to go broody. One I gave up on( she is really mean about it) and moved her to a holding pen so she can have some peace and quiet. The others I want to stop. I have been pushing them off the nest, stealing the eggs, and generally being a nuisance when ever possible. Any ideas on how to get these girls off the nest and back to laying?

Have you tried putting them in a separate cage like what they call a broody breaker? I usually just use a wire dog crate, the bottom wire spacing is usually around 1x4"... you want it really uncomfortable for her to stand/sit on. I put a couple of perches in there and hang small food/water dishes on the sides so they can't stand or sit in them. Put the crate out in the open, I like to put them in the middle of the barn aisle or coop so there is a lot of activity and light... you want the hen to be bothered. They don't like to walk on the wire so they spend pretty much all the time on the perches, that works pretty well for most of them and they will quit in a couple of days, I usually give them about a week in the cage. I've never tried it, but some people have mentioned putting a small fan under them to cool them off even more.

The fan really makes the breaking process go faster. And make sure you keep them in the cage at night, also, with the fan going under them.

It rarely takes longer than three days and a couple nights to get them broken where they lose the interest in nest sitting. Getting their hormones back to normal may take a few more days, meaning they'll continue to be fussy and irritable. But they will stay off the nest until egg laying returns.

Back
Top Bottom