How to stop quails dying from egg issues

joannas11

Chirping
Mar 6, 2020
UK
I have lost 2 quails in the last month from what I think are egg issues. For the first one, she was a bit quiet for a couple days and then I found her dead with a bloody rear end. Then today, I have found another one dead with a malformed egg having just come out and blood all over her rear end. I hadn't noticed any changes in behaviour leading up to it for that one.
The quails are about 18 months old now and live on deep litter. I'm in the UK so its getting colder and darker. They're fed a layers pellet and I occasionally give them seeds or mealworms.
Is there something I can do to prevent this? Or any ideas what may be causing it? Its such a horrible way to go, I don't want to lose anymore this way if I can help it.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Are these coturnix? Your avatar picture (which is adorable) made me wonder.

I only know coturnix. They need to be on layer feed and/or have access to a calcium supplement like fine ground oyster shell (I buy parakeet oyster shell) by the time female coturnix are 4-5 weeks old. Is that helpful?

I have lost 2 quails in the last month from what I think are egg issues. For the first one, she was a bit quiet for a couple days and then I found her dead with a bloody rear end. Then today, I have found another one dead with a malformed egg having just come out and blood all over her rear end. I hadn't noticed any changes in behaviour leading up to it for that one.
The quails are about 18 months old now and live on deep litter. I'm in the UK so its getting colder and darker. They're fed a layers pellet and I occasionally give them seeds or mealworms.
Is there something I can do to prevent this? Or any ideas what may be causing it? Its such a horrible way to go, I don't want to lose anymore this way if I can help it.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Can I ask did you keep them laying over last winter with supplemental lighting?

I use it, but I don't let my quail really ever age over a year due to my addiction to incubation but my mate (who also supplemented lighting) had a similar issue with his girls after they were about 20-24 months old.

I've never used supplemental lighting, they just have natural daylight. They're pets more than anything so not bothered about a drop in egg production over the winter. Would supplemental lighting make egg issues more or less likely?
Could stress be a factor? There is some building work going on next to us which has been very noisy.

Stress can definitely affect them, and sometimes what we think wouldn't or shouldn't cause stress, does! Quail are funny about that, what seemingly unstressful as moving a piece of furniture or object near their cage or pen can stress them out. :rolleyes: you just never know!

Back
Top Bottom