How to store eggs...

pcekpr05

Hatching
Oct 28, 2015
Ohio
So finally, after quite the long wait, one of my chickens has finally started to lay. I have four chickens (1 golden comet, 1 RIR, 1 buff orpington, and 1 silver laced Wyandotte) all are about 9 months with the exception of the Wyandotte who is about 6 months. This week I finally got my first egg so now I am hoping to get information on the best way to store the eggs. I originally had planned to wash the eggs and store them in the refrigerator. I was speaking to my veterinarian and he told me another possibility would be not to wash them and just keep them in an egg carousal on the kitchen counter. He explained that the egg laying process is a perfect process because when the chicken lays, the egg is coated with a protective layer of mucous that prevent bacteria from penetrating the shell. He said we know this works because otherwise we wouldn't have baby chicks because all would die before hatching due to bacteria and/or disease, which after thinking about it makes since. He said if the egg is washed then the layer of mucous is washed off and so the egg must be stored in the refrigerator at that point. He said I would have to make the decision to wash and store them in the refrigerator or not wash them and store them on the countertop and only wash them when I am going to use them. I was just hoping to get others opinions on what they feel is the best way to store eggs.

We store ours on the kitchen counter...

If any of the eggs are dirty, they get washed and put in the fridge, same if any get dropped or cracked. Then they are used first.

Back
Top Bottom