How to store pedialyte?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
So I heard that pedialyte should be discarded after 48 hours. Well I am only feeding these baby birds tiny drops.

What is a good way store these? Last time i raised baby birds i always discarded them every 24 hours which was a huge waste of money and product. I only have access to the non powder pedialyte.

There are also basic 'pedialyte' recipes available online from vets. I always keep a few bottles of unflavored around for an emergency, but couldn't find anything but flavored the past few years. One of our cats became severely dehydrated in a short period of time from a resp. infection a few months ago so we just made a pint of electrolyte solution with sugar, salt and baking soda to get her thru the night till we could see the vet. It worked ok. Not sure its ideal for cats or chickens, but in a pinch it was easy enough to make.
I ended up comparing about a half dozen recipes till I felt confident in proportions of ingredients. But I am ashamed to admit that in the frantic freakout of that night, I didn't write it down and now my old brain is failing me.

The new pedialyte powder packs instructions say to store in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
https://pedialyte.com/products/powd...VmSCtBh2I5Af2EAAYAiAAEgKT-vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That seems a bit extreme, as the fridge should keep pedialyte liquid or mix fresh for longer than 24 hours. You also could mix part of the packet and make a smaller amount of it to use. Electrolytes should only be used for a few days, as they can cause diarrhea if used longer than 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom