How to switch from bagged food...

I used a cloths pin today and that seemed to help so ill have to invest in a suet!

sustainable as in the chickens poop, poop goes in compost, compost goes in garden, garden feeds chickens....so that I'm not dependent on an outside source of food....does that explain it? Lol

I used a cloths pin today and that seemed to help so ill have to invest in a suet!

sustainable as in the chickens poop, poop goes in compost, compost goes in garden, garden feeds chickens....so that I'm not dependent on an outside source of food....does that explain it? Lol

You'll be dependent on buying feed anyway unless you know what testing equipment you need to ensure nutrient levels of everything you grow to formulate your own feed.

A suet cage is pretty inexpensive. The normal sized ones go for less than $2. Bigger ones might be necessary depending on the number of chickens you have.

For heads of cabbage, etc, I drill a hole though the core, and hang it on a chain. They love to eat it that way, because it can't roll away from them.

Oh! I see. Please do check out chicken nutritional articles; even with great free range and garden goodies, you will probably need to give them supplemental feed! What do you expect from your chickens in terms of productivity (egg laying) and how long do you want them to live? Everyone keeps chickens for different reasons, which is why I am asking.

I want eggs but I also like the idea of not being dependent on a food source in case some emergency situation erupted. Plus I REALLY like knowing what's in my food. I more or less want something so that if I couldn't get to a feed store or they weren't available, I would be able to still raise them. Not to mention, they are adorable :)

I have 3 australops right now but I hope to get more once we move out of city limits!

Your best option might then be to find a local mill locally that will create feed for you, or to start making friends with local farmers. It is possible, of course, to raise chickens only on what you can make yourself, but you will probably not experience good production (eggs) or long-lived pets, depending on if you want them as pets.
A diet for a long-lived, healthy, well-producing hen is not the same diet that our forefathers, farmers, and homesteaders of yore provided. Unless you have a working farm, where the chickens have acres of range?
I understand and relate with your desire to become self-sustainable, but you will need to have a lot of forage abilities for the chickens, and be willing to butcher now and then, like they did in the old days. A better option, I think, is to grow local relationships with farmers that can help you out. Barter systems are great too!

Back
Top Bottom