How to tame chickens?

I just got my RIR's on Friday and they will all eat out of my hand. They are about 7 months old. The Rooster almost acts the friendliest. I haven't tried picking them up yet since they still act a little skittish.

Years ago when I had chickens, you could walk up to most of them and pick them up or sit there and pet them. I just spent alot of time around them and they became used to me. That is what I've done with these current RIR's.

Wayne

I think if you handle them when they are chicks. They like people have different personalitys.
smile.png

I have some that, even though I could pick them up as chicks, they run when I try to pick them up. Then again, they also sometimes jump up on me out of the blue and will roost on my lap or arm.

I have one special Wyandotte who's a month old, will follow me around everywhere and want me to hold her and pet her every day. It all depends on each individual bird, I guess.

I have what I've been told, is a Black Cochin Roo. He's an extremely fiesty little guy, and has no fear of me. I can pick him up, just about anywhere in the backyard, and he really doesn't raise a fuss at all. But now he is seeking me out, to come over and peck me on my bare legs! I suspect he's alittle frustrated, as all "his" hens are much larger than he, and his amorous proposals have been spurned. I'm beginning to wonder if he sees me as one of his chickens, because he dances about when he gets close. I don't know tho, if it's a threatening dance, or the dance of love. He calms down alot, when I reach down and pet him, but, I don't want him to think I'm his girlfriend! I also don't want to promote behavior that we don't want, such at being attacked for no reason.
lol.png
For now, I let him get away with his shennanigans, as they are relatively harmless.

As for the rest of the flock, they don't run away, but they don't get too close either. Unless I have treats. Then I am inundated!
smile.png

Quote:
Question from a newbie: I don't have any chickens yet; they're coming to me within the next few days. I'm curious about the pooping habits of chickens while they are on your lap and sitting on your chair. Other BYC's postings talk about their chickens hopping up to sit on the people's shoulders or arm, or walking into the kitchen from the porch. Do the chickens somehow naturally refrain from pooping when they are on people's laps and furniture? Or do you all just get so "used to it" that you don't find it unbearably yukky anymore?
-Carolyn

Quote:
If I have one jump up on me, I try/hope to have their butts facing away in case they try to drop a bomb. I've been pooped on before. I can't say I've gotten used to it but it's not the worst thing in the world. If they aren't sick or haven't eaten too much watermelon, their poop usually kinda rolls off anyway...
tongue.png

Last edited:
Every single time you go out to see them bring tasty treats. Then every time they see you they think "TREATS!" and they come running.

It is possible to tame a chicken without them still being chicks. I picked up a few hens from a swap a few years ago, a sebright mix hen and a buff black tailed japanese hen. It took me 1 year of constant attention and treats to calm them down. Now i can walk up to either of them and pet them as i wish without them taking off on me. I talked to them in a low calm sweet voice, telling them how pretty and special they are. Ginger the sebright mix will sit in my lap and purr when i do this. It takes time and patience but if you keep working with them it should work.

Back
Top Bottom