How to tame chicks (teaching them to not be afraid of you)

You know tonight when I was putting the flock away for the night, I spent some time with my new 3 little chicks. Maybe 3 weeks old only. They haven't learned to use the red water nipples yet. Then I was using the hose and they started drinking it out of my hands. Very calmly too. Seems like this might be a better familiarization practice than food. At least on a hot Phoenix day, water is more important to them I would imagine.

You know tonight when I was putting the flock away for the night, I spent some time with my new 3 little chicks. Maybe 3 weeks old only. They haven't learned to use the red water nipples yet. Then I was using the hose and they started drinking it out of my hands. Very calmly too. Seems like this might be a better familiarization practice than food. At least on a hot Phoenix day, water is more important to them I would imagine.

I agree since I live in Phoenix too.

I got my chicks when they were 2 weeks old. My husband, daughter and I would just reach in and take them out of the brooder several times a day and snuggle with them. They argue at first but then snuggle in and go to sleep. I almost think the yelling about it is what they would do if a predator has them to alert the others. Once they see you are not going to eat them, they calm down.

Now my girls are 8 weeks old. I take a stool into their penned area and just sit down. I talk to them and try to pet them. Almost always 4 or 5 of them will jump up onto my lap and settle down for a bit. They enjoy me to pet them. I have an EE that won't do it and a Barred Rock that has only done it once for a minute. All of the others will just settle in with me.

I think they like it when you let them decide whether or not it is snuggle time. I think you maybe have to force it a bit when they are very young though so they get it. At least that is what has worked with my girls.

A couple of them will even fly from the ground onto my shoulder to hang out with me. One word of advice that I learned the hard way. If you have long hair tie it up and wear a "chicken poop approved" shirt. I experienced the first pooping chick on the shoulder and had to wash my hair.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
I got my chicks when they were 2 weeks old.  My husband, daughter and I would just reach in and take them out of the brooder several times a day and snuggle with them.  They argue at first but then snuggle in and go to sleep.  I almost think the yelling about it is what they would do if a predator has them to alert the others.  Once they see you are not going to eat them, they calm down.

Now my girls are 8 weeks old.  I take a stool into their penned area and just sit down. I talk to them and try to pet them.  Almost always 4 or 5 of them will jump up onto my lap and settle down for a bit.  They enjoy me to pet them.  I have an EE that won't do it and a Barred Rock that has only done it once for a minute.  All of the others will just settle in with me.  

I think they like it when you let them decide whether or not it is snuggle time.  I think you maybe have to force it a bit when they are very young though so they get it.  At least that is what has worked with my girls.

A couple of them will even fly from the ground onto my shoulder to hang out with me.  One word of advice that I learned the hard way.  If you have long hair tie it up and wear a "chicken poop approved" shirt.  I experienced the first pooping chick on the shoulder and had to wash my hair.  :sick  
Yuk, but they are fun. Lol. I feed the chicks sauerkraut and hold the strands up and they jump for it. I have them where they'll jump for anything. These 3 week old are warming up to me fast.

What kind of treats would you use?
Our chicks turned one week yesterday and we treat the with dried meal worms. They absolutely love them!
Every time I walk into the chicken coop (where their brooder and heat lamps are) I begin to talk to them and they all crowd near the edge of the brooder where I usually sit.
Once I put my hand down inside the brooder with the meal worms in hand, they 'attack' my hand and take the worms. After a few days of doing this, they now will voluntarily 'jump' into my hand so I can pick them up to hold.

They are amazing little creatures. :)

I got my chicks when they were 2 weeks old.  My husband, daughter and I would just reach in and take them out of the brooder several times a day and snuggle with them.  They argue at first but then snuggle in and go to sleep.  I almost think the yelling about it is what they would do if a predator has them to alert the others.  Once they see you are not going to eat them, they calm down.

Now my girls are 8 weeks old.  I take a stool into their penned area and just sit down. I talk to them and try to pet them.  Almost always 4 or 5 of them will jump up onto my lap and settle down for a bit.  They enjoy me to pet them.  I have an EE that won't do it and a Barred Rock that has only done it once for a minute.  All of the others will just settle in with me.  

I think they like it when you let them decide whether or not it is snuggle time.  I think you maybe have to force it a bit when they are very young though so they get it.  At least that is what has worked with my girls.

A couple of them will even fly from the ground onto my shoulder to hang out with me.  One word of advice that I learned the hard way.  If you have long hair tie it up and wear a "chicken poop approved" shirt.  I experienced the first pooping chick on the shoulder and had to wash my hair.  :sick  

My 9 lil buff orpingtons are over 8 weeks old now and out in the grow up coop run. I used a clicker when they were in the dog crate to signal treats, and filling waterer and feeder. Thy would run to me eat out of my hand and jump into my hands to be held. NOW I use the clicker and they run from me! No matter how quiet I sit they won't come near, they run and climb over each other to hide in a corner. The group from last year went through a "tween" phase like this too not coming near no matter what I did. They finally got over it when they hit almost 4 months. This group seems to be doing the same thing.

When it is time for weekly checks they act like they are being murdered, raise so much of a fuss the older hens in the other run are doing alarm calls and get Dino the roo worked up. The pullets won't touch any treats until after I leave and out of sight. (I watch from behind bales) I don't know if it something I did wrong or they are just going through a phase. My older girls take treats from hand, walk with me, throw a fit when picked up but settle quickly. Demetri our special hen is the only one that comes to be picked up and begs for everyone.

My 9 lil buff orpingtons are over 8 weeks old now and out in the grow up coop run. I used a clicker when they were in the dog crate to signal treats, and filling waterer and feeder. Thy would run to me eat out of my hand and jump into my hands to be held. NOW I use the clicker and they run from me! No matter how quiet I sit they won't come near, they run and climb over each other to hide in a corner. The group from last year went through a "tween" phase like this too not coming near no matter what I did. They finally got over it when they hit almost 4 months. This group seems to be doing the same thing.

When it is time for weekly checks they act like they are being murdered, raise so much of a fuss the older hens in the other run are doing alarm calls and get Dino the roo worked up. The pullets won't touch any treats until after I leave and out of sight. (I watch from behind bales) I don't know if it something I did wrong or they are just going through a phase. My older girls take treats from hand, walk with me, throw a fit when picked up but settle quickly. Demetri our special hen is the only one that comes to be picked up and begs for everyone.
Well they are being real stinkers aren't they? I will come back to this and let you know if things change with mine. They just turned 8 weeks on Monday May 5. I do spend ALOT of time with mine because I am lucky to run my own business from home. Maybe that makes a difference? I go out and talk to them multiple times as day and make sure to sit in with them for contact each evening.

I have been spending more time with my Chicks each day and I think I am starting to know who the boys are just by the fact they want nothing to do with me at all. But there others slowly come around, getting closer and closer for bits of food and to explore things. One of the chicks tried to make a call from the phone today as it packed at my home phone. LOL I got a sunburn but it was fun!!
I have heard of other chickens going through the flightly stage especially after being moved. Good to be aware of a teenage sort of phase it sounds like. I hope it doesn't last long.

Last edited:
Our chicks turned one week yesterday and we treat the with dried meal worms. They absolutely love them! 
Every time I walk into the chicken coop (where their brooder and heat lamps are) I begin to talk to them and they all crowd near the edge of the brooder where I usually sit. 
Once I put my hand down inside the brooder with the meal worms in hand, they 'attack' my hand and take the worms. After a few days of doing this, they now will voluntarily 'jump' into my hand so I can pick them up to hold. 

They are amazing little creatures. :)
Hi Kate where do you get your mealworms? I think I would like to try them on my babies.

Back
Top Bottom