How to tame chicks (teaching them to not be afraid of you)

Ok I didn't know if I was wasting my time or not. Seems like the only ones really being mean to them were the Roosters. I was free ranging the roosters only but gave up on it pretty quick because it's a pain. I will do this again until the hens accept them. Thanks for the advice. My mother in law said that her friend has chickens and hers never accept new ones. ?????

K9Dave it is not really my recipe. It is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook. It sounds difficult but once you figure out your supposed to pour the sugar water over the uncooked dough covered apples it is all eazy-Peazy from there. uhm please don't tell my husband lol he will want me to make them all the time.

Last edited:
I brought this, (what is supposed to be a black sex link) home today and look at how friendly it is, and it can sense when i am near the door which is wood, the whole front of the brooder is wood, it comes and stands at the door and when i open it and reach in, it gets on my hand, it can not be over 2 or 3 days old, but i had some chick feed in my hand the first time, 5 new BSL and 5 DOM's

I hand feed them flies and other live, buzzing insects, the get accustomed to hands bringing food to them in the brooder pretty quick and after about a day they come to you.

I can't say we do the same things eat day but each day we do something with them and lucky for me the kids are getting calmer and they are getting lower like I am asking them to. They get a little happy and excited at times but they are starting to see it scares the chicks a bit. Some of the Chicks come around and some stay away. I just let them be who they are. The one that jumped on me follows me around every time I walk into the area lol. I did have one who bit two of my kids and made them cry in the last two days. I think it's a roo. Yesterday I made sure they pushed that one away. He came back a few times but got the hint finally and left us be.

My hubby is the same. Give him a good meal and he is content.

lol. That is how I caught my hubby too. My hubby is a great cook, because his parents showed him how to and they make delicious meals. When we got together he showed me how to make is favorite foods. lol Homemade fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy is the go to meal when I show him how much I care. The kids LOOOOve it too. haha

Apple dumplings sound good!
My mouth is watering for apple dumplings, yum yum yum

I brought this, (what is supposed to be a black sex link) home today and look at how friendly it is, and it can sense when i am near the door which is wood, the whole front of the brooder is wood, it comes and stands at the door and when i open it and reach in, it gets on my hand, it can not be over 2 or 3 days old, but i had some chick feed in my hand the first time, 5 new BSL and 5 DOM's

Awwww!! SO cute! I have a lot of them do that. I haven't had one that little do that though. SOOOO cute!!

K9Dave it is not really my recipe. It is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook. It sounds difficult but once you figure out your supposed to pour the sugar water over the uncooked dough covered apples it is all eazy-Peazy from there. uhm please don't tell my husband lol he will want me to make them all the time.

Your secret is safe with me.
cool.png
I am going to take a look at that. I have to make things Gluten free but I should be able to tweak the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom