How to tell breeds

daskhan

Songster
Apr 24, 2015
Indiana
Ok I'm still rather new only been a chicken owner since this spring.
But I'd like to start a thread on how to tell chicken breed from chicken breed because the more I learn and more breeds I see the harder it is for me to tell them apart... For instance I bought some chickens at auction and was told one of the Roos was a birchen Orpington... Turns out orpington's don't have rose comps he did.. Then was told he was a sex link... Still out on that one... Then see a picture of a blue ohio that looked exactly like him but Ohios don't have rose comes then seen a silver laced wyondote and bingo.. Exact match coloring size rose comb everything looks the same... Still not sure if that's what he is though..

Now I also bought Rhode Island reds at the same time and the roo who I believe is getting old has a small amount of white on the very tip of his wings and this feature has stumped me his comb is also very odd it's like a rubber Mohawk no fingers or anything just like a napolian hat just forward instead of side to side.. I've also looked at other breeds such as isa browns or "production reds" as well as a few others and wondered "is that what they are"
Now I think I learned my lesson on why I shouldn't buy from auctions or random people... But I'd still like to know if there's a real way to tell them apart... If anyone has or knows of chickens that look similar and would be hard to tell apart but you know how please post comparative pictures explaining how to tell them apart

A copy of the APA SOP may help.

Shape is the breed. Color is the variety. Along with shape, leg, skin, beak color and comb type can be indications.
There are a lot of people that aren't careful about cross breeding so that skews things. Also, many people do 'projects' that introduce genes making it very difficult. There are also flaws. For instance, breeds that are supposed to have slate legs may end up with white legs.

Shape is the breed. Color is the variety. Along with shape, leg, skin, beak color and comb type can be indications.
There are a lot of people that aren't careful about cross breeding so that skews things. Also, many people do 'projects' that introduce genes making it very difficult. There are also flaws. For instance, breeds that are supposed to have slate legs may end up with white legs.
x2

I looked it up online and it said the 2010 didn't recognize Rhode Island Red as a sop breed? Am I missing something

I'll tell you how I learned most of what I know about chicken breeds (before byc). I ordered the paper catalogs from the hatcheries, mostly MMM. I kept them in my bathroom and they were my reading material, for years and years. Come on, you all keep stuff in there to read, too
wink.png

Now we have the interwebz, it's a great resource. Hatcheries don't necessarily churn out the best quality birds, but they do usually have an accurate description when it comes to plumage color, leg color and comb shape. Most have good pics so you can see the desired shape of the breed. Beyond hatchery sites, places like Feathersite are great.

And here on byc, we have our very own chicken breed focus threads where they present a different breed each time.

I'll tell you how I learned most of what I know about chicken breeds (before byc). I ordered the paper catalogs from the hatcheries, mostly MMM. I kept them in my bathroom and they were my reading material, for years and years. Come on, you all keep stuff in there to read, too
wink.png

Now we have the interwebz, it's a great resource. Hatcheries don't necessarily churn out the best quality birds, but they do usually have an accurate description when it comes to plumage color, leg color and comb shape. Most have good pics so you can see the desired shape of the breed. Beyond hatchery sites, places like Feathersite are great.

And here on byc, we have our very own chicken breed focus threads where they present a different breed each time.
Haha! Yep, the hatchery catalogs were my favorite thing for a looong time. I'd bring those things almost everywhere.

Thank you very much this thread was more to just have similar breeds and ways to tell them apart if I get a chance I'll try to post the apa sop so everyone has that too

There are a lot of people that aren't careful about cross breeding so that skews things. Also, many people do 'projects' that introduce genes making it very difficult. There are also flaws. For instance, breeds that are supposed to have slate legs may end up with white legs.

I'll tell you how I learned most of what I know about chicken breeds (before byc). I ordered the paper catalogs from the hatcheries, mostly MMM. I kept them in my bathroom and they were my reading material, for years and years. Come on, you all keep stuff in there to read, too ;)

I agree with the above and my first breed book was called Pocketful of Poultry. It is pretty basic, but is helpful to learn some basics. For slightly more advanced pictures and descriptions I like Storeys Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds. Once you get the breeds down I like the Standard of perfection because it helps you learn more about the history of the breed and what they should look like :)

Back
Top Bottom