How to tell chick breeds apart?

We have ordered some Doms for family from Meyer and the one that survived to adulthood( The three deaths were all due to animals) isn't pure Dom. They only had white/yellow spots on their heads, and not much yellow or white anywhere else

In case anyone realizes that the pictures only show 9 chicks. The last is a chipmunk chick and it had trouble hatching. It's seems pretty weak so I'm giving it a lil' extra TLC and see how it goes before I post any pics. Although I'm guessing Speckled Sussex since the egg it hatched from looked exactly like the ones pictured on meyerhatchery.com.....I would copy the link but my computer is saying the webpage is under construction...grr computers

I will also try to get better pictures tomorrow. The lighting really washed the colors out a bit on the lighter colored chicks. I'm going to probably paint some heads that way once I post the pics I can tell who's who. ;)
We have ordered some Doms for family from Meyer and the one that survived to adulthood( The three deaths were all due to animals) isn't pure Dom. They only had white/yellow spots on their heads, and not much yellow or white anywhere else
I'm not sure this is my first Dom so I'm not sure what the norm for this breed is. It does seem to have quite a bit of yellow/white patches. If it wasn't for the comb I would think australorp.

Last edited:
Here is what 5 of the chicks feathers look like. I think I read somewhere that the NHR chicks will get barring feathers? I'm not really sure myself though. Some of the chicks have a much lighter pattern though.

Here is the odd ball of the 6. Could this chick be a orp?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom